The general guidelines for selection of constituents in BSE-200 are as follows:
- Equities of companies listed on Bombay Stock Exchange Ltd. (excluding companies classified in Z group, listed mutual funds, scrips suspended on the last day of the month prior to review date, scrips objected by the Surveillance department of the Exchange and those that are traded under permitted category) shall be considered eligible
- Listing History: The scrip should have a listing history of at least 3 months at BSE. An exception may be granted to one month, if the average free-float market capitalization of a newly listed company ranks in the top 10 of all companies listed at BSE. In the event that a company is listed on account of a merger / demerger / amalgamation, a minimum listing history is not required.
- The scrip should have been traded on 90% of the trading days in the last three months.
- All remaining companies are then ranked on average full market capitalisation, average free-float market capitalisation and average turnover for preceding 3 months
- A Final Rank is calculated giving weightage of 75% to rank on market capitalisation (full & free-float separately) and 25% to rank on turnover
- A Combined Final Rank is calculated by taking the summation of final rank based on full market capitalization and final rank based on free-float market capitalization.
- Exclude all constituents with Final Rank beyond 220 based on full & free-float market capitalization
- Include all companies with (a) Free Float Final Rank and Full Final Rank within 200; and (b) superior combined final rank to the extent of total exclusions
- In case of any short-fall for inclusion, select companies with (a) Free Float Final Rank and Combined Final Rank within 200; and (b) superior combined final rank
- In case of further short-fall for inclusion, select companies with (a) Full Final Rank and Combined Final Rank within 200; and (b) superior combined final rank
- Any further short-fall shall be filled-up by including companies based on combined final rank