- On 28th February Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd. was incorporated as
Public Limited Company under the Companies Act, 1956. The company
been set up to take over the management, control and operation of
Telephone District (Excluding public telegraph service) and Mumbai
Telephone District of the Department of Telecommunications and to
establish, develop, provide, operate and maintain all types of
telecommunication services including Telephone, telex, wireless,
communication, telematic and other like forms of communication.
- One of the important objectives of the company is to raise the
necessary finance to meet its own developmental needs and also that
the telecommunications board of the Department of Telecommunication.
- The Main objectives and aims of Nigam are as follows: (1) To
the quality of telecom services (2) To expand telecom (3) To raise
necessary financial resources (4) To provide new telecommunication
services, particularly needed by the business community and public
administration such as Cellular Mobile Radio Telephone, Radio
Fascimile Videotex, Teletex, Electronic Mail etc. (5) To invest in
Human Resource Development (6) To organise and dovetail the training
- During November, the Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd. offered
15,00,000-14% and 10% secured redeemable non-convertible bonds of Rs
1,000 each for public subscription to partly meet the fund
of the capital expenditure programmes of the MTNL and DOT envisaged
the year 1986-87. - Additional 7,50,000 bonds were issued to retain
over subscription. 15,88,460-14% secured redeemable bonds were
privately placed with the financial institutions and banks.
- All shares issued to President of India and of which 59,99,984
were issued without payment in cash.
- 1,12,133-14% and 19,26,327-10% bonds of Rs 1000 each were allotted
February/March. The 14.0% and 10.0% bonds are redeemable after the
expiry of 7 years and 10 years respectively from the date of
- The entire junction network in the system was fibre based on a
to provide self healing machanisms to be built in the System through
induction of SDH technology.
- The Company floated on private placement basis 11th `A' part and
Series of bonds aggregating Rs 359.26 crores for the developmental
programmes of the department of telecommunications.
- The Company took various steps to provide a host of value added
services like datacom, inet, DIDPABX, Voice Mail, Radio Paging and
- In addition to phone plus facilities like dynamic locking, call
waiting/call transfer, hot line etc. were extended to valued
Apart from this IVRS (Interactive Voice Response System) like local
assistance changed number information, and falut booking system
ensuring round the clock service, a CD-ROM version of the telephone
directory and an on-line directory enquiry through PC was introduced
during the year.
- The Company undertook to provide, wireless in the local loop in
Mumbai and Delhi, GSM Mobile Telephone in Delhi and Mumbai, B.CDMA
pilot project, Induction of Smart Payphone and introduction of DLC
optical fibre borne system.
- Payment of bills was made hassel free with the introduction of
electronic clearing system and customer service management system
on-line payment and adjustment of telephone bills.
- The Company issued 7,00,000 No. of equity shares representing
3,50,000 GDRs (1 GDR = 2 shares) at a price of US $ 11.958 per GDR.
- As on 31st March, the waiting list of the MTNL has 1047 in Delhi
Nil in Mumbai due to its sustained efforts and timely implementation
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd is considering a proposal to reduce
security, a Wireless in Local Loop (WiLL) subscriber has to pay to
15,000 from Rs 25,000.
- MTNL has proposed that a WiLL subscriber's bank can stand
for this security, effectively ensuring that there is no real
from the subscriber's pockets.
- The Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) board has approved a
proposal for setting up a joint venture company with the Telecom
Consultants India Ltd (TCIL) for operating basic and cellular
- The Company is setting up a network in Kuwait. The project was
awarded to TCIL in June 1997. In Comoros, the company is using
exchanges for the telecom network.
- The Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) is developing a software
protect customers from telephone tapping and reading by external
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) launched the country's first
toll-free service in Delhi.
- The company will be advertising to select an international joint
venture (JV) partner for its cellular phone service; MTNL will have
51 per cent equity stake in the new company.
- MTNL will set up an integrated commercial accounting system with
from Tata Consultancy, Services.
- The state-owned Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) is all set to
give a run to private cellular operators for their money by launching
low-tariff mobile telephone service to cater to the salaried
middle-class and students.
- Within a few weeks of listing, the MTNL (Mahanagar Telephone Nigam
Ltd) GDR issue was voted as one of the top 10 Best International
Issue in 1997 in a poll conducted by Euroweek's International Equity
Review, the respected international business publication.
- In the polls, MTNL secured the awards of the 10th best
equity issue of 1997; fourth best Asian equity issue of 1997; and
second best Indian equity issue of 1997.
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd., is undertaking a restructuring
to ward off competition and streamline costs.
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) is holding parleys with
FIs and mutual funds for making a private placement of bonds worth
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam (MTNL) has proposed a cash-and-stock
to the Department of Telecommunications (DoT).
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) has proposed a joint venture
with Telecom Consultants India Ltd (TCIL) to become the second basic
telecom services provider in West Bengal and Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) and Mahanagar Telephone
Nigam Ltd (MTNL) have shot down the Delhi and Mumbai cellular
operators' proposal for an out-of-court-settlement of the litigation
MTNL's entry into cellular services.
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) on Tuesday entered into
competition with another state owned public sector unit Videsh
Nigam Ltd (VSNL) for Internet services by offering a 15 per cent
- International telecommunications provider Videsh Sanchar Nigam
Limited (VSNL) will enter the national long distance telephony
when it is opened up for competition in 2000.
- Mahanagar Nigam Telephone Ltd (MTNL) on Wednesday released the new
telephone director called Phone Book 1999 after a gap of four years.
- The MTNL Board has proposed a stock option price of around Rs. 85
cent share to the department of telecommunications (DoT) as against
market price of around Rs. 85 per share to the department of
telecommunications (DoT) as against the market price of around Rs.
before the recent political upheaval.
- State-owned Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd is expanding the
in local loop (WLL) network, both in Mumbai and Delhi up to 50,000
10,000 subscribers respectively. In Delhi, they are expanding the
network to 10,000 from the existing 1,000 subscribers. In Mumbai
network would be expanded to 50,000 subscriber.
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) has proposed that the
should dovetail its disinvestment programme of a 0 million Global
Depository Receipt (GDR) issue with the company's plan to become the
first Indian firm to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)
within the next three months.
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) tied up with MasterCard
International to pioneer the acceptance of credit cards for payment
- The Company will do the soft launch of its GSM-based monbile
in Delhi and Mumbai.
- The Company is likely to be listed on New York Stock Exchange next
month with the public sector telecom giant getting clearance from
- The Company has proposed increase in the pulse rate of local call
the internet usage to five minutes from three minutes to make
- The Company will launch its cellular service in Mumbai from August
- The Company has awarded the Rs 32 crore contract for Fixed
Terminals for its CDMA network in Delhi.
- The Company and American Express travel related services entered
alliance for india's first co-branded telecom credit card MTNL
Express credit card. - The company will mull a tie-up with portals
rediff.com and satyamonline.com at a meeting.
- The Company has setting up both basic and cellular services in
- Telecom services in the national capital of Mumbai were partially
affected due to one day token strike by non-executive employees of
company demanding revision of pay scales, perks and allowances.
- The Employees of the Company in New Delhi went on a one-day strike
4th June demanding revision of pay scales and perks. The staff
threatened to go on an indefinite strike from July 11.
- The Proposed strike of the Company staff unions has been deferred
- The state owned Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd. will set up a
submarine cable landing station.
- The company has to explore possibility of entering a joint venture
with another state owned company Videsh Sanchar Nigam for just
Long Distance telephony.
- Narendra Sharma has been appointed as the new chairman and
director of the company.
- The company has opened two additional customer service centres at
Chembur in Mumbai.
- The Company will expand its common man mobile telephone network by
50,000 new lines in the current financial year.
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited to launch its cellular phone
service in Mumbai in January next with a subscriber capacity of
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd. has transferred its Internet
Provider Category-A licence as well as Internet business to its
subsidiary, Millennium Telecom.
- MTNL is to develop a dedicated division to spearhead its cellular
operations in Delhi and Mumbai.
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) will introduce a cash
for its cellular subscribers within two months of starting its
Operations on Jan. 31.
- The Company Chairman Narinder Sharma has bagged the international
Millienium Man of the Year award, instiutted by the international
award committee of Wisitex Foundation.
- Dolphin, the much-awaited cellular service of MTNL, was launched
Delhi on 6th Feb.
- The Company proposes to provide additional net switching capacity
3.30 lakh lines and to deploy 50,000 lines of CDMA-based WLL
during the year 2001-02.
- The Company and Videsh Sanchar Nigam Limited have both signed
memoranda of understanding with the Department of Telecommunications
outlining their performance agenda for the coming financial year.
- The Company has tied up with Billjunction.com to provide online
presenting and payment facility to its customers.
- The Company will have a roaming facility in its cellular service,
Dolphin, by the end of this month
- The Company has tied up with WorldTel to offer basic telecom
in Bangaladesh as part of the corporation's proposed move to
into overseas operations.
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (MTNL) has roped in ICRA to
out a strategy to leverage the human resources of the telecom
- The Delhi High Court has upheld the appointment of Narinder Sharma
chairman-cum-managing director of MTNL, saying there was no merit in
writ petition challenging it.
- Dolphin, the cellular service promoted by State-owned telecom
operator MTNL, seems to be catching on.In October, Dolphin
13,000 new subscribers in Mumbai, increasing its base to 33,000.
Around 30 per cent of these new connections have defected to Dolphin
from incumbent cellular operators, Orange or BPL, according to MTNL
- IDBI Bank has forged an alliance with MTNL in Delhi to help the
account holders of the bank to pay their phone bills through ATMs and
-Announces its launch of Wireless in Local Loop (WLL) service in
-Launches its pre-paid cellular card Trump with tariffs 50 per cent
lower than that of the private players in Delhi and Mumbai
-Govt. pemits MTNL, BSNL to compete in basic services
-Sets up a new software venture called ComSoft for developing
communications software, as a part of its strategy to offer
value-added communications software in e-commerce, e-governance and
-IDBI Bank signs MoU with MTNL for bill payment
-Announces unlimited cell calls for Rs 1900
-MTNL stock price records nine-year-low of Rs 95
-Announces new codes for MTNL consumers in Delhi
-MTNL stops sales of its pre-paid card Trump
-Misses WLL-M expansion deadline in Delhi
-Partners with RailTel Corporation of India Ltd. to offer telecom
bandwidth vide optical fibre cable (OFC) along its track network
-Announces free incoming calls
-Formulates VRS for employees
-Department of Telecommunications (DoT) signs Memorandum of
Understanding (MoUs) for 2003-04 with Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd
-Slashes number of free calls
-Forms Joint Venture with VSNL and Telecommunications Consultants
India Ltd (TCIL) to provide Basic & WLL telephone services in Nepal
-Trai rejects MTNL's new WLL tariffs
-Cuts down cellular tariffs to take on private sector competition
-Awards WLL-M handset contract to Kyocera of Japan
-Reduces tariff rates by 50% on CDMA services
-Shelves global long distance plan
-Approves VRS for its employees
-Gets licence for providing telephone service and ILD services in
-Joins hands with Nokia, Samsung for WLL handsets
-Launches new tariff plan where the monthly rental will be Rs 100 and
the call charges will be Rs. 1.90 per minute
-Launched a new scheme offering a fixed line telephone connection for
Rs 100 per month, on which the customer can access free incoming
calls. For outgoing calls, the customers will have to use Virtual
Credit Cards (VCC). Thus, the offer introduces a hybrid post-paid cum
prepaid arrangement for a fixed line phone.
-1. Shri Narinder Sharma - ceased to be CMD wef October 31, 2003 on
retirement from service on attaining the age of Superannuation.
2. Shri R S P Sinha - Director (F) has been entrusted the officiating
charge of the post of CMD for a period of 3 months wef November1,
3. Shri I C Srivastava - ceased to be the Director wef October 8,
2003 due to death
4. Shri P C Rawal - ceased to be the Director wef October 29, 2003
5. Dr J S Sarma - appointed as Govt. Director in place of P C Rawal
wef October 29, 2003
6. Smt Monika Arora - tendered her resignation wef November 11, 2003
and ceased to be the director from the said date.
-MTNL has come out of its negative trap with its fixed-line
subscribers outgrowing surrenders, even as it launched a new scheme,
'Plan 160', for basic telephony subscribers.
-MTNL has informed that Shri AK Girotra and Shri RL Dubey, Executive
Director Delhi and Mumbai respectively have been appointed as
ex-officio directors on the Board of MTNL wef December 19, 2003
-MTNL unveils 'Economy Plan' for WLL services
-MTNL launches new schemes for ISDN subscribers
-MTNL unveils SMS facilities on its landlines for its customers
-MTNL bags licence to offer telecom services in Mauritius, Kenya
- MTNL and BSNL have entered into a strategic alliance, under which
the two public-sector telecom companies will jointly offer their
voice and data services
-MTNL Ltd. has informed that Sh. A. K. Girotra, and Sh. R.L. Dubey,
Executive Director, Delhi and Mumbai respectively have been appointed
as ex-officio directors on the Board of MTNL w.e.f. December 19,
-Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) on January 09, 2004, announced
a special tariff plan for basic service users with Rs 160 monthly
rental aiming at low end users. Under this special plan, there would
be no free calls as available under other tariff packages.
-ITI queries on MTNL deal with Huawei
-MTNL bags award for excellence in cost reduction
-MTNL awards GSM line contract for Motorola
-Mahanagar Telephone Nigam has launched new leased line services,
with both 'full' and 'compressed' bandwidth circuits, for port speeds
ranging from 64 kpbs to two mbps
-MTNL join hands with BSNL to target corporate clients
-MTNL unveils value added services (VAS) for landline customers in
- Consumers will get access to high-speed Internet services from Jan
14, onwards for as low Rs 500 a month, with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd
and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd launching its broadband services
across the country.
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd's latest voluntary retirement scheme,
which closed on January 31, 2005, has somewhat come a cropper with
only around 2,000 employees, out of its total staff of around 58,000,
applying for it.
-MTNL rolls out Rs 1,000 cr tender for 3G services
-Red Hat partners with MTNL's CETTM centre
-NLD licence for MTNL
-MTNL teams up with Aksh Opticfibre for IPTV
-MTNL & Software Technology Parks signs JV agreement
-MTNL set to launch 3-in-1 services
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) has appointed Shri. S P
Pachauri as Director (H R) on the Board of MTNL w.e.f. December 06,
-MTNL to tie up with Novatium for Net access device
-MTNL all set to buy Sri Lankan Suntel
-MTNL gets Rs 1,461 crore I-T refund
-Mumbai: Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd has joined hands with Contakt
Tech Solutions India for Express alert, a new value added service for
- MTNL ha launched the next generation 3G technology-based telecom
services in Delhi. The service was inaugurated by Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh by receiving a video call from Telecom Minister A
Raja, who was also present at the function.
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd has joined hands with Contakt Tech
Solutions India for Express alert, a new value added service for MTNL
subscribers. MTNL's customers will get astrology, news, stock, etc
alerts by subscribing to these services.
-MTNL to launch 3G Services in Mumbai
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) has informed BSE that Shri R.
S. P. Sinha, Chairman & Managing Director (CMD), MTNL has
relinquished the charge of the CMD and Shri Kuldip Singh,
Director(technical), MTNL has been given the additional charge of the
post of Chairman & Managing Director (CMD), MTNL with effect from
January 15, 2010.
- Shri. Ashok Kumar Garg, Director(HRD), BSNL, has been appointed as
Chairman & Managing Director, Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd.
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) has signed a MoU with
Welingkar Institute of Management Development & Research (Welingkar)
to introduce two management programs for the telecom sector.
-Registered Office of the Company has been shifted from Jeevan Bharti
Building Tower - I, 12th Floor, 124, Connaught Circus, New Delhi
110001 to Mahanagar Doorsanchar Sadan, 5th Floor, 9, CGO Complex Lodi
Road New Delhi - 110003.
-The Company has conveyed that guarantee space for Rs. 3000 crore is
available for MTNL to be utilized in the financial year 2012-13.
-MTNL introduces broadband technology-based video telephony service
-MTNL to inject Rs 400 cr to increase 3G speed 6-fold
-MTNL taps FIIs, raises Rs 1,500 cr via bond sale
-MTNL gains over 6% on reports of merger with BSNL