• Language
  • App
  • Subscriptions
  • Specials
  • Sign-In
  • Register
GeStepAhead Realasset Realasset
moneycontrol.com

Home » News » Business

Jan 09, 2006, 09.30 AM | Source: Moneycontrol.com

Aviva Life to infuse more capital as per IRDA norms

Aviva Life Insurance Company Ltd is expected to bring in more capital over the next few weeks to sustain its high premium growth rate.

Like this story, share it with millions of investors on M3

Aviva Life to infuse more capital as per IRDA norms

Aviva Life Insurance Company Ltd is expected to bring in more capital over the next few weeks to sustain its high premium growth rate.

Post Your Comments

Share Cancel

CNBC-TV18

Watch CNBC-TV18 live only on MYTV >>

Aviva Life Insurance Company Ltd is expected to bring in more capital over the next few weeks to sustain its high premium growth rate.

Speaking to Business Line, Mr Stuart Purdy, Managing Director, Aviva Life said, "We will take a decision this week." Aviva is currently capitalised at Rs 320 crore (equity plus reserves).

Mr Purdy said that Aviva of UK and the Dabur group, the two joint venture partners, had contributed Rs 60-80 crore annually as capital.

"Additional infusions will be very much in line with those figures," Mr Purdy said.

EXCLUSIVE CALLS from Experts
And BUZZ before it becomes NEWS
Only on www.poweryourtrade.com

 

 

But, he added, "We would very much prefer the government to increase the foreign direct investment ceiling to 49% or even beyond."

Dabur group is a 74% stakeholder in the life insurance joint venture. Aviva holds the remaining 26% stake.

The additional capital is to conform to the solvency margins prescribed by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority.

At present, the regulator's prescribed ratio is 150% of the insurable liabilities.

Aviva's capital requirements also currently stem from high growth rates it has seen since the beginning of this year. This was because along with premiums, insurable liabilities also tend to rise.

Cumulative premiums of Aviva are estimated at Rs 317 crore, about 106% more than the corresponding period of last year. The bulk of the premium accretions came from unit-linked policies.

Unit-linked cover unlike conventional guaranteed return cover or pure risk cover is far more capital efficient, and help contain the capital requirements.

But policyholders' return risks tend to be high. To help policyholders maximise their returns, Aviva had set up its own team of fund managers, he said.

Aviva, he said, also plans to open 66 new branches during the current year to augment its direct reach further in the country and popularise its unit-linked policies.

Currently, its reach in the Tier II cities is through its bancassurance arrangements with 20 banks, including Canara Bank and 14 co-operative banks.

Mr Purdy said that the company's attempt to grow the group insurance business was beset with problems.

"We have hit a hiatus on group plans with the fringe benefit tax coming into force," he said.

As a result, this business currently contributed only 1-2%, though it was beginning to grow.

Taken from Business Line

thehindubusinessline.in

Canara Bank stock price

On February 10, 2016, at 12:15 hrs Canara Bank was quoting at Rs 183.00, down Rs 7.55, or 3.96 percent. The 52-week high of the share was Rs 451.20 and the 52-week low was Rs 168.00.


The company's trailing 12-month (TTM) EPS was at Rs 41.93 per share as per the quarter ended September 2015. The stock's price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio was 4.36. The latest book value of the company is Rs 488.43 per share. At current value, the price-to-book value of the company is 0.37.

Ads by Google

Buy, Hold, Sell ? Hear it first on M3
Aviva Life to infuse more capital as per IRDA norms

See all

Get started using your favorite social network

or

Login using moneycontrol ID

Username
Password

Need help logging in? Reset password.

Don´t have an account? Sign Up

Get started using your favorite social network

or

Simply sign up using this short form

* mandatory

UserName*

Username should be atleast 4 character

Password*

Password should be 8 or more characters,
atleast 1 number, 1 symbol & 1 upper case letter

Alert

Your Password should contain
  • 8 or more characters
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 symbol
  • At least 1 upper case letter
Confirm Password*
Email
Already have an account? Login