Company History - Hindustan Zinc
- A small lead smelting pilot plant was set up at Tundoo near Dhanbad
- Metal Corporation of India (MCI) was formed and all the assets of
the Company were transferred to MCI.
- The Government of India surrendered the mining rights over Zawar to
Mewar durbar and MCI obtained the prospecting licence for 2 years and
in 1950 obtained a mining lease.
- MCI obtained licence for production of 9,000 tpa of lead and
5,40,000 Ozs of silver p.a.
- The company was Incorporated 10th January, in Rajasthan. The
Company is a producers of Zinc and lead from the Company's Mines and
- Facilities for production of cobalt and indigenous lead-zinc ores
were commissioned during the year. In-house technology for the
recovery of cobalt was made possible through R&D and Cooperation with
- The application for prospecting licence for gold for Bhukia Jagpura
Banswara District and Dungarpur District Rajasthan was subletted to
- 40,37,31,900 shares disinvested in favour of Mutual Funds and
Financial Institutions. The Company allotted 188,00,000 shares to
the President of India in 1992.
- The Company entered into a MOU with BHP minerals Ltd., Australia
for joint venture project for exploration of base precious minerals
in Rajasthan. Another MOU was entered into with Vigego, Vietnam and
La-Sarce France for a joint venture project for exploration at
Gold prospect in Vietnam.
- The Company decided to develop Sindesar Khurd Lead-Zinc Silver
deposit in Rajsamand, Rajasthan as a replacement mine to
Rajpura-Dariba with a capacity to produce 1000 tpd Ore. The Company
closed its Degana Tungstan Mine in Rajasthan as its operations became
- Hindustan Zinc Ltd and Rajasthan State Mines and Minerals Ltd
(RSMML) signed a memorandum of understanding of set up a Rs.3,300
crore power project near Udaipur in Rajasthan.
- Hindustan Zinc Ltd (HZL) has entered into a memorandum of
understanding for 1997-98 with the Government of India.
- Public sector Hindustan Zinc has entered into three separate
agreements with international mining majors for diversification into
mining and prospecting of previous minerals in India and abroad.
- The company has formed a joint venture with BRMG of France and
Vietnam Rare & Precious Minerals Corporation (VMC) to explore and
develop gold mines in the Southeast Asian country.
- The company's second joint venture is with Nuigini Mining for
exploration of gold in Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh
- The company's third joint venture is with the Australian major,
Broken Hill Proprietaries for prospecting of non-ferrous metals like
zinc, lead, copper as well as gold in Rajasthan.
- Hindustan Zinc Ltd (HZL), a public sector enterprise under the
Ministry of Mines, has entered into a memorandum of understanding
(MoU) with BHPM, Australia, for grassroot exploration of zinc and
lead along with other precious minerals in Rajasthan.
- HZL has also entered into a MoU with CSIR for setting up a nickel
technology proving plant (TPP) for extraction of nickel from
overburden of chromite at Sukhinda mines in Orissa.
- HZL is likely to install a new zinc smelter with a capacity of
around 60,000 to 1,00,000 tonnes, work for which will be initiated in
1998-99 and the plant is likely to be commissioned by the end of the
Ninth Plan or early Tenth Plan.
- HZL is also negotiating with another Australian company Pasminco
for grassroot exploration of Ajmer district in Rajasthan.
- HZL has signed MoUs with three foreign companies - BHP Mining and
Nuigini Mining (NML) for exploration and exploitation of base and
precious metals in India and BRGM/VMC for gold prospecting in
- The Rampura-Agucha mines of Hindustan Zinc Limited (HZL) has been
awarded ISO 9002 certificate for quality management system by SGS
Yarsley International Certificate Services Limited.
- Crisil has assigned a P1+ rating to the Rs.10-crore short-term
deposit programme of Hindustan Zinc.
- The Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) has approved a joint
venture proposal of Australian mining giant, BHP, and the State owned
Hindustan Zinc Ltd (HZL) to mine base metals in Rajasthan.
- The power plant is being set up in joint venture with the
state-owned Rajasthan State Mines and Minerals Ltd.
- Public sector Hindustan Zinc Limited (HZL) will set-up a 100 mega
watt (mw) captive power plant in Rajasthan to meet its power
requirement for existing mines in the region.
- Rashtriya Chemicals & Fertilisers (RCF), Hindustan Zinc (HZL) and
Rajasthan State Mines & Minerals (RSMML) have signed a memorandum of
understanding for a Rs 300-crore diammonium phosphate (DAP) project
- Public sector Hindustan Zinc has commenced closure of loss-making
units as part of its strategy for improving valuation of the company
prior to its privatisation.
-The US$1.3 billion Sterlite Group (Sterlite) announces that it has
been declared the successful bidder for the acquisition of a 26%
equity stake in Hindustan Zinc Ltd (HZL) for Rs 4450 million ($91.30
m) through Sterlite Opportunities and Ventures Ltd, a Special Purpose
Vehicle set up for the same.
-Sterlite Industries India Ltd has informed that US $ 1.3 billion
Sterlite Group,on April 11, 2002 made payment of Rs 4450 million to
the Govt. of India and completed the acquisition of 26% stake in
Hindustan Zinc Ltd.
-Hindustan Zinc Ltd has the following changes in management
-Directors ceased Mr B N Mittal Chairman-MD Mr A N Mittal Director Dr
Vinayahil Gautam Director Dr S K Gupta Director.
-Directors nominated on behalf of strategic partner ie Sterlite
opportunities and ventures Ltd w e f April 11, 2002. Mr K K Kaura
Managing Director,Mr Anil Agarwal Additional DirectorMr Navin
Agarwal Additional Director,Mr Tarun Jain Additional Director, Mr C
V Krishnan Additional Director,Mr C A Sundaram Additional Director.
-Govt. Nominee Directors w e f April 11, 2002;Dr A K Kundra
Chairman, Mr A C Wadhawan Director,Mr Nand Kishore Shukla
- Mr C Sankaran, Company Secretary & GM has been nominated as
Compliance Officer by the Board.
-Govt of India has disinvested 26% of the paid up capital of
theHindustan Zinc Ltd ie 109858294 number of shares along with
management control in favour of Sterlite Opportunities and Ventures
-HZL's Zinc Smelter, Vishakapatnam is accredited with ISO 9000:2000
certification for its quality management system for manufacturing
primary zinc, cadmium metals and sulphuric acid through hydro
-Hindustan Zinc Ltd registered a 113.58% growth in its net profit.
-HZL, a part of Sterile Group has raised $12 million worth of ECBs
for its ambitious Capacity Expansion (Capex) programme.
-Hindustan Zinc Ltd has informed that Mr Aditya Narayan has jointed
the Sterlite Group and will take responsibility as Managing Director
of the Company from Mr K K Kaura, CEO Sterlite
- 35,000 tonnes of zinc debottlenecking completed at Chanderiya
-Hindustan Zinc Ltd informes the inauguration of the Company's New
Zinc Smelter at Chanderiya in Rajasthan with a production capacity of
170000 Tons Per Annum and 154 MW Captive Power Plant
-Hindustan Zinc Ltd has given Greentech Environment Excellence Silver
Award for 2004-2005 in metal sector for its environment management
- Rampura Agucha Mine expansion from 2.30 million tonnes per annum to
3.75 million tonnes per annum
-HZL picks up `Golden Peacock' award
- Commissioned 170,000 tonnes per annum of Hydrometallurgical Zinc
Smelter (Hydro I) at Chanderiya Smelter Complex
- Commissioned 2 X 77 MW Captive Power Plant at Chanderiya Smelter
- Commissioned 50,000 tonnes per annum of Ausmelt Lead Smelter at
Chanderiya Smelter Complex
-Hindustan Zinc Ltd has appointed Shri. Sanjiv Kumar Mittal, Joint
Secretary & Financial Adviser, Ministry of Mines as Government
Nominee Director on the Board of the Company with immediate effect in
place of Shri. Sujit Gulati.
- Hindustan Zinc Ltd has informed that the President of India vide
letter dated November 28, 2007 appointed Shri. A K Singh, Director,
Ministry of Mines as Government Nominee Director on the Board of the
Company with immediate effect.
- Sindesar Khurd Mine began production with an initial production
capacity of 0.3 million tonnes per annum
- Commissioned 38.4 MW of Wind Energy Farms at Gujarat
- Commissioned 170,000 tonnes per annum of Hydrometallurgical Zinc
Smelter (Hydro II) in a benchmark time of 20 months at Chanderiya
- Commissioned 80 MW Captive Power Plant at Chanderiya Smelting
- 5,000 tonnes of zinc debottlenecking completed at Debari Zinc
- Commissioned 50.4 MW of Wind Energy Farms at Gujarat
- Rampura Agucha Mine expansion from 3.75 million tonnes per annum to
5.00 million tonnes per annum making the total mining capacity of the
Company to 7.40 million tonnes per annum
- 88,000 tonnes per annum zinc debottlenecking competed at Chanderiya
Smelter Complex & Debari Zinc Smelter making the total metal
production capacity to 754,000 tonnes per annum
- Commissioned 80 MW Captive Power Plant at Zawar Mines
- Commissioned 34.4 MW Wind Energy Farms making the Company's total
Wind Energy capacity to 123.2 MW.
- Rampura Agucha Mine expansion from 5.00 million tonnes per annum to
6.00 million tonnes per annum, increasing the total mining capacity of
the Company to 8.40 million tonnes per annum.
- Commissioned the 210,000 tonnes per annum Hydrometallurgical Zinc
Smelter at Rajpura Dariba, increasing the Zinc & Lead metal
production capacity to 964,000 tonnes per annum (879,000 tonnes of
Zinc and 85,000 tonnes of Lead).
- Commissioned 1.50 million tonnes per annum concentrator at
Silver-rich Sindesar Khurd Mine.
- Commissioned 160 MW (80X2) Captive Power Plant at Dariba Smelting
- Around 48 MW addition in wind power generation capacity.
-Company has splits its Face value of Shares from Rs 10 to Rs 2
-Hindustan Zinc has given the Bonus in the Ratio of 1:1
- Ramped-up Sindesar Khurd mine to 2.0 mtpa capacity.
- Commissioned the 100 ktpa Lead smelter at Dariba, increasing the
Lead production capacity to 185 ktpa.
- Commissioned new Silver refinery, increasing the Silver refining
capacity to 500 tpa.
- Commissioned 102MW expansion in wind power, increasing total wind
power generation capacity to around 274MW.
- Commenced underground mine development work at Rampura Agucha mine
and greenfield Kayar mine.
-Hind. Zinc - Board recommends Final Dividend
-Hindustan Zinc Ltd., Akhilesh Joshi has been awarded with the
MEAI-Adheraj Baldota Memorial Gold Medal Award-2012
-Hindustan Zinc Limited Commissions Sewage Treatment Plant at Udaipur
-Hindustan Zinc awarded with Significant Achievement in HR
Excellence by CII
-Hindustan Zinc and Cairn India signed MoUs with Rajasthan
-Hindustan Zinc (HZL) has installed refuge chambers inside its
underground mines in the state of Rajasthan
-Hindustan Zinc Board declares Special Golden Jubilee Dividend
-Hindustan Zinc gets EC amended to scale up production
- Hindustan Zinc declared interim dividend
- HZL special dividend credit positive for Vedanta Resources