Moneycontrol PRO
HomeNewsWorldSevere unrest erupts in Bangladesh: 91 dead as protests against quotas intensify

Severe unrest erupts in Bangladesh: 91 dead as protests against quotas intensify

The protest which started last month against civil service job quotas have escalated into some of the worst unrest that the country has witnessed since its independence

August 04, 2024 / 22:04 IST
The protest which started last month against civil service job quotas have escalated into some of the worst unrest that the country has witnessed since its independence

Protests in Bangladesh have spiralled into severe chaos, with local media reporting 91 deaths amid the escalating demonstrations. The unrest, which began last month over civil service job quotas, has transformed into one of the most severe crises the country has faced since its independence, posing a significant threat to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's government.

The Students Against Discrimination (TSAD), spearheading the protests, have issued a clear demand: the resignation of Sheikh Hasina and her government. "We demand the downfall of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and the current government to ensure human safety and justice," said Nahid Islam, TSAD coordinator, in a statement reported by Prothom Alo.

In response, the government has imposed an indefinite nationwide curfew starting at 6 p.m. (1200 GMT) and declared a three-day general holiday from Monday. Authorities have also ordered a shutdown of Meta platforms—Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp, and Instagram—and suspended 4G mobile internet services to curb the unrest.

The ongoing turmoil represents Hasina’s most significant challenge since the violent protests that erupted in January following her re-election for a fourth term, which was boycotted by the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP).

Reports indicate that several policemen have been killed, with the official death toll at 14. Dramatic scenes from Dhaka show protesters, surrounded by a cheering crowd, waving the Bangladeshi flag atop an armored vehicle as soldiers look on, according to verified social media videos.

Asif Mahmud, a leading figure in the civil disobedience campaign, has called for a major march on Dhaka on Monday, declaring, "The time has come for the final protest." Demonstrators have returned in large numbers this month, aiming to paralyze the government through a non-cooperation movement.

Prime Minister Hasina has condemned the protesters, labeling them "terrorists" rather than students and urging citizens to "suppress these terrorists with a firm hand." She has convened the National Committee on Security Affairs, comprising top military and security officials, to address the escalating violence.

Adding to the tension, former senior military generals have called for the withdrawal of armed forces from the streets, urging the government to resolve the crisis through political means. "The armed forces should not be used against our own people," said former army chief Iqbal Karim Bhuiyan.

Violence has spread to various regions, with attacks on the residences of key figures such as Education Minister Mohibul Hasan Chowdhury Nowfel and Chattogram City Corporation Mayor Rezaul Karim Chowdhury. In retaliation, homes of several BNP leaders have been targeted.

The BNP, along with various political, professional, and cultural groups, has voiced support for the student-led movement, which initially sought reforms to government job quotas. Government leaders have accused fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami and its student wing, Islami Chhatra Shibir, of hijacking the peaceful campaign, allegedly with backing from ex-premier Khaleda Zia’s BNP.

(With inputs from agencies)

Moneycontrol News
first published: Aug 4, 2024 10:04 pm

Discover the latest Business News, Sensex, and Nifty updates. Obtain Personal Finance insights, tax queries, and expert opinions on Moneycontrol or download the Moneycontrol App to stay updated!

Subscribe to Tech Newsletters

  • On Saturdays

    Find the best of Al News in one place, specially curated for you every weekend.

  • Daily-Weekdays

    Stay on top of the latest tech trends and biggest startup news.

Advisory Alert: It has come to our attention that certain individuals are representing themselves as affiliates of Moneycontrol and soliciting funds on the false promise of assured returns on their investments. We wish to reiterate that Moneycontrol does not solicit funds from investors and neither does it promise any assured returns. In case you are approached by anyone making such claims, please write to us at grievanceofficer@nw18.com or call on 02268882347