Samsung Electronics on Friday offered alternative phones to its India customers who had pre-ordered its flagship Galaxy Note 7 devices, in a bid to appease loyal clients in one of its largest smartphone markets.
The South Korean tech giant said in a statement it expected the blow to profit to be in the mid-2 trillion won range in the October-December period and about 1 trillion won (USD 900 million) for the first quarter of 2017.
The paper said Samsung would likely seek to make up for lost Note 7 sales through its Galaxy S7 models as well as the Note 5, which was the 2015 predecessor for the Note 7.
The world's top maker of smartphones and memory chips said its April-June profit was likely 8.1 trillion won (USD7 billion), better than the average forecast of 7.8 trillion won tipped by a Thomson Reuters survey of 16 analysts.
The South Korean giant will disclose its estimates for second-quarter earnings on Thursday, with analysts predicting a strong mobile division contributed to a 13 percent jump in operating profit from the same period a year earlier.
The outlook will raise hopes the South Korean firm's struggling mobile business is on track to post its first annual profit gain in three years after a healthy start for new premium products and improved mid-to-low tier devices.
Citing an unnamed source, the paper said January-March earnings for the world's top smartphone maker were boosted by strong sales of the flagship Galaxy S7 smartphones that went on sale in March as well as a weaker South Korean won.
The phones launched first at the Mobile World Congress 2016, come with an always-on display and, as the company claims, also bring the first Dual Pixel camera on a smartphone.
The phone, launched alongside the Galaxy S7 Edge at the Mobile World Congress 2016, comes with an always-on display and, as the company claims, also brings the first Dual Pixel camera on a smartphone.
The Samsung is going to launch the next two Galaxy that is the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge at the Mobile World Congress 2016 in Bacelona Spain. CNBC-TV18's Megha Vishwanath brings us all the action on Tech Toyz.
Samsung once again launched two versions of its new premium phone: the 5.1-inch flat screen Galaxy S7 and the 5.5-inch curved screen Galaxy S7 edge in Barcelona, where the industry is gathered for the Mobile World Congress.
Samsung could start the programme once its next flagship Galaxy S7 smartphone goes on sale in South Korea, which is expected to be around March, the paper said.
The South Korean giant could instead partner with a company called Synaptics, which launched its own pressure-sensitive touchscreen sensors called Clearforce earlier this month. The new technology, as Synaptics says, will be ready by early next year, Business Insider notes.