Here are the key highlights so far from Railway Budget for 2012-13 presented by Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi:
Here are the key highlights so far from the Railway Budget for 2012-13 being presented by Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi:
1. Rail fares hiked by 2-30 paise per km.
2. Second class fares up by 2 paise per km.
3. Platform ticket prices raised to Rs 5 from Rs 3.
4. To introduce 75 new express trains, 21 passenger trains. 132 trains were introduced in last Budget.
5. To introduce 45 new routes.
6. Emphasis on the Budget will be on strengthening railway safety.
7. Indian Railway safety fund pegged at Rs 16,482 crore.
8. Railways will require Rs 14 lakh crore over next 10 years.
9. Investment on Railways pegged at Rs 7.35 lakh crore in the 12th five-year plan.
10. Internal Resources of Railways pegged at Rs 1.99 lakh crore.
11. Aim to cut operating ratio (OR) to 74% by 2016-17 from 95% now.
12. Aim for OR at 84.9% in fiscal 2013.
13. Annual plan outlay for fiscal 2013 seen at Rs 60,100 crore, versus Rs 57,630 crore year-on-year.
14. Railway's FY13 market borrowing seen at Rs 15,000 crore.
15. Aim to spend Rs 6,647 crore on track modernization next fiscal year.
16. Signalling system to be modernized.
17. To spend Rs 39,110 crore in 5 years to modernize railway signalling and telecom.
18. To electrify 6,500 km of rail line in the 12th plan.
19. Target 700 km of track doubling and 800 km of gauge conversion next fiscal year.
20. 114 new line surveys will be carried out.
21. To allocate Rs 4,410 crore in fiscal 2013 for capacity augmentation work.
22. To invest Rs 18,193 crore in rolling stock in FY13.
23. To start coaching complex and terminal in Navi Mumbai.
24. Rail coach factories proposed at Vidisha in Madhya Pradesh and Palakkad in Kerala.
25. Aim to cut travel time between metros via faster trains.
26. To set up Indian Railway Station Development Corp.
27. To develop 100 stations via PPP (public private partnership) route in next five years. Stations to be developed like airports.
28. To hire over 1 lakh employees in FY13.
29. MOU signed for Rail freight corridor in Chattisgarh.
30. PPP model to be firmed up for elevated rail line in Mumbai.
31. Satellite based real-time information trains in 18 months.
32. Reputed global agencies to be hired for catering.
33. Eco-friendly toilets to be introduced in 2,500 coaches.
34. Will set up independent Railway Safety Authority.
35. To set up special purpose vehicle (SPV) to eliminate railway crossings.
36. Aim to eliminate all railway crossings in next five years.
37. Railway Research Development Council to be set up.