Moneycontrol PRO
HomeNewsIndiaVehicles burnt, cops injured: What led to violence and arson by Nagpur mob?

Vehicles burnt, cops injured: What led to violence and arson by Nagpur mob?

Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said that the clashes resulted due to rumours and appealed to people to exercise restraint. The CM also promised strict action against those found guilty of violence and arson.

March 18, 2025 / 16:57 IST
Police personnel deployed to maintain law and order day after violence broke out following an agitation by a right-wing group demanding removal of Aurangzeb's tomb in Nagpur. (PTI Photo)

Tensions prevailed in Nagpur district of Maharashtra as a violen mob torched vehicles and targeted police personnel over rumours of a religious book being burnt during a protest held by right-wing outfits Vishwa Hindu Parishad and the Bajrang Dal who were demanding the removal of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb's tomb located in Khuldabad in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar district (previously Aurangabad).

Police had to fire tear gas and resort to lathi-charge to control the situation and disperse the mob. Several police personnel sustained injuries in the clashes that broke out, including one officer who was allegedly attacked using an axe. No casualties or serious injuries have been reported from Monday's clashes so far, police officials said.

Speaking in the Maharashtra Assembly, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis condemned the attack against the policemen and said those responsible for the violence and arson will not be spared. He also revealed what led to the clashes and appealed to people not to fall prey to rumours.

"The Vishwa Hindu Parishad and Bajrang Dal staged a protest in Nagpur (on Monday). After the protest, a rumor was spread, which escalated in the evening. A mob of 200-300 became aggressive and shouted slogans. It was claimed that a symbolic grave had a religious symbol on its covering... This rumor fueled tensions and led to violent incidents. It appears to be a pre-planned attack. No one is allowed to take the law into their own hands," he said.

Earlier, news agency PTI quoted Nagpur Commissioner of Police Ravinder Singal as saying that a "photograph was set on fire", leading to the clashes.

"A photograph was set on fire, which instigated people. A case was registered regarding this, and an investigation is underway. Later, clashes broke out. Some police personnel have been injured, but no one sustained any serious injuries," he said, according to PTI.

Chief Minister Fadnavis, who also holds the Home portfolio, said, "I appeal to people not to fall prey to rumours. Everybody should maintain peace. The administration is taking all necessary measures."

Bajrang Dal office-bearers said they had only burnt an effigy of Aurangzeb during the demonstration. A complaint was lodged at Ganeshpeth police station in the evening, alleging desecration of a holy book.

"This seems a planned incident. No one will be spared. Those who attacked police will not be spared at any cost. It will not be tolerated. The police were trying to maintain peace," Fadnavis said in his address in the Assembly Tuesday, urging people to exercise restraint and respect others.

According to Fadnavis, at 11.30 am Monday, VHP and Bajrang Dal workers protested in the Mahal area in Nagpur, demanding the removal of the tomb of Aurangazeb, and burnt a replica of the tomb.

"By evening, a rumour spread that the tomb had a sheet with religious text. A mob of 200-300 became aggressive and shouted slogans," he said.

"Before that, those who wanted to file a case against the Bajrang Dal were called to Ganeshpeth police station. While the police action was on, around 200-300 people started stone pelting with lathis and a dozen two-wheelers were damaged and some people were attacked," he said.

In the third incident, a mob of 80-100 attacked the police in the Bhaldalpura area, and more vehicles were damaged. "In this incident, 33 policemen were injured which includes 3 DCP rank officers and one of them was attacked with an axe. Around 5 citizens injured, and one of them is in ICU," he added.

According to Fadnavis, three cases have been filed at the Ganeshpeth Police Station, and two at the Tehsil Police Station. A curfew was imposed in several parts of Nagpur — under the jurisdiction of Kotwali, Ganeshpet, Tehsil, Lakadganj, Pachpavli, Shantinagar, Sakkardara, Nandanvan, Imamwada, Yashodharanagar, and Kapilnagar police stations — after the violence broke out in the city.

Moneycontrol News
first published: Mar 18, 2025 04:57 pm

Discover the latest Business News, Sensex, and Nifty updates. Obtain Personal Finance insights, tax queries, and expert opinions on Moneycontrol or download the Moneycontrol App to stay updated!

Subscribe to Tech Newsletters

  • On Saturdays

    Find the best of Al News in one place, specially curated for you every weekend.

  • Daily-Weekdays

    Stay on top of the latest tech trends and biggest startup news.

Advisory Alert: It has come to our attention that certain individuals are representing themselves as affiliates of Moneycontrol and soliciting funds on the false promise of assured returns on their investments. We wish to reiterate that Moneycontrol does not solicit funds from investors and neither does it promise any assured returns. In case you are approached by anyone making such claims, please write to us at grievanceofficer@nw18.com or call on 02268882347