FiDEX 2026
FiDEX 2026

Ramesh lifts stop-work order against Maheshwar project

Yielding to pressure from PMO and Madhya Pradesh Government, Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh on Friday agreed to lift the stop-work order against construction of last five spillway gates of Maheshwar Hydroelectric Project in the state.

May 07, 2011 / 17:24 IST

Yielding to pressure from PMO and Madhya Pradesh Government, Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh on Friday agreed to lift the stop-work order against construction of last five spillway gates of Maheshwar Hydroelectric Project in the state.

The Ministry issued the stop-work order in April last year following a complaint filed against the Shree Maheshwar Hydel Power Corporation by Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) and other organisations which alleged that the private promoter had failed to rehabilitate the displaced villagers.

"...I have no option but to agree to the lifting of the stop-work order on the construction of the last five spillway gates," Ramesh said in his order narrating the sequence of events that took place at various levels including PMO after stopping the work one year ago.

The Minister, however, said these gates, which are basically at the centre of the dam and the river, "shall not be lowered until satisfactory completion" of the rehabilitation and resettlement (R&R) of the people affected by the project and its review.

"The filling up of the reservoir upto 154 meters will be considered after the R&R work has been completed," the order said.

Ramesh said the decision to lift the stop-work order was taken after considering the "decisions taken at various meetings" convened by the PMO in response to communications received by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh from various leaders including state Chief Minister Chauhan and former chief minister Digvijay Singh.

In their complaint, the Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA) and other organisations, which lead the agitation of the approximate 70,000 people in over 60 villages, alleged that the promoters failed to meet obligations to the people whose homes or land will be submerged by the dam.

Ramesh said the most recent review of the project was conducted by the PMO on May 2, 2011.

After this meeting, the Central Water Commission (CWC) sent a technical report to the Environment Ministry and it recommended "the installation of the balance five radial gates to avoid damage to existing construction in the event of breach of coffer dam due to monsoon floods," he said.

first published: May 7, 2011 02:35 pm

Discover the latest Business News, Sensex, and Nifty updates. Obtain Personal Finance insights, tax queries, and expert opinions on Moneycontrol or download the Moneycontrol App to stay updated!

Subscribe to Tech Newsletters

  • On Saturdays

    Find the best of Al News in one place, specially curated for you every weekend.

  • Daily-Weekdays

    Stay on top of the latest tech trends and biggest startup news.

Advisory Alert: It has come to our attention that certain individuals are representing themselves as affiliates of Moneycontrol and soliciting funds on the false promise of assured returns on their investments. We wish to reiterate that Moneycontrol does not solicit funds from investors and neither does it promise any assured returns. In case you are approached by anyone making such claims, please write to us at grievanceofficer@nw18.com or call on 02268882347
CloseParallel Income Plan 2026