Over 2,000 children in the city have lost either one or both their parents due to the coronavirus infection, with 67 of them losing both their parents, since the pandemic outbreak in March last year, says a survey conducted by the DCPCR.
According to the survey carried out by the Delhi Commission For Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR), a total of 651 children lost their mothers and 1,311 children lost their fathers to the infection.
The Delhi government has planned to give Rs 2,500 per month to such children.
The DCPCR had also launched an all-day functional helpline number -- 9311551393 -- for citizens to report any such case or seek any information pertaining to child rights.
An official statement said the Commission has used its helpline to undertake various well-being surveys and identification of children who have lost their parents due to COVID-19 using data provided by the Delhi government’s health department.
Frequently Asked Questions
A vaccine works by mimicking a natural infection. A vaccine not only induces immune response to protect people from any future COVID-19 infection, but also helps quickly build herd immunity to put an end to the pandemic. Herd immunity occurs when a sufficient percentage of a population becomes immune to a disease, making the spread of disease from person to person unlikely. The good news is that SARS-CoV-2 virus has been fairly stable, which increases the viability of a vaccine.
There are broadly four types of vaccine — one, a vaccine based on the whole virus (this could be either inactivated, or an attenuated [weakened] virus vaccine); two, a non-replicating viral vector vaccine that uses a benign virus as vector that carries the antigen of SARS-CoV; three, nucleic-acid vaccines that have genetic material like DNA and RNA of antigens like spike protein given to a person, helping human cells decode genetic material and produce the vaccine; and four, protein subunit vaccine wherein the recombinant proteins of SARS-COV-2 along with an adjuvant (booster) is given as a vaccine.
Vaccine development is a long, complex process. Unlike drugs that are given to people with a diseased, vaccines are given to healthy people and also vulnerable sections such as children, pregnant women and the elderly. So rigorous tests are compulsory. History says that the fastest time it took to develop a vaccine is five years, but it usually takes double or sometimes triple that time.
Follow our LIVE blog for latest updates of the novel coronavirus pandemic
"The Commission has been able to trace more than 2,029 children who have lost either one or both their parents due to Covid. Of these, 67 children are those who have lost both their parents, whereas 651 children have lost their mothers and 1,311 their fathers due to the disease," it said.
The details of these children have been shared with the Department of Women and Child Development for necessary action on its part and ensuring enrolling eligible beneficiaries in schemes notified by the Delhi government for children who have lost their parents due to Covid, the statement said.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had on May 14 said his government would bear the cost of education and upbringing of the children orphaned during the pandemic.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had last month announced a number of welfare measures for such children, including ensuring a corpus of Rs 10 lakh when they turn 23 years of age and providing for their education.
The DCPCR helpline was launched in April and has now completed three months of operations wherein more than 4,500 complaints have been reported.
Of these, 2,200 have been complaints of the SOS category which needed attention on urgent basis, the statement said. These SOS complaints consisted of children/families in urgent need for essential supplies such as ration, medical emergencies, cases of abandoned children, Covid testing related requirements, among others, it added.
Around 85 percent of the SOS complaints were successfully resolved within 24 hours, while the remaining 15 percent were resolved within 72 hours, the statement said.
Anurag Kundu, chairman, DCPCR, said in the last three months, the helpline has enabled the commission to reach out to more children and their families.
"It is just a humble beginning and the helpline has a long way to go to firmly establish itself as a useful and reliable medium. Going by the current trend, the Commission will receive nearly 20,000 complaints in the ongoing year. This is nearly 1,300 percent of the average of the past three years and is two-and-a-half times the complaints the Commission has received in 12 years!" he said.
Follow our full coverage of the coronavirus pandemic here.