Moneycontrol PRO
HomeNewsBusinessGovt may push for 2 more M&As in energy space to meet FY19 disinvestment target

Govt may push for 2 more M&As in energy space to meet FY19 disinvestment target

There are plans to make power generation major NTPC a holding company of the energy sector by acquiring three or more state-run companies

December 10, 2018 / 11:53 IST
With 160 deals, IT and ITES was the busiest sector followed by manufacturing and healthcare (47). The banking, financial services and insurance (BFSI) space was third, recording 41 deals. Let's take a look at the biggest mergers and acquisitions in India this year. (Representative image)
     
     
    26 Aug, 2025 12:21
    Volume
    Todays L/H
    More

    Intent on fulfilling its divestment target before FY19-end, the Finance Ministry wants to push through at least two more merger and acquisition deals among government-owned energy companies, after the recent deal between Power Finance Corporation and REC, reported The Economic Times.

    Senior government officials told the paper that there are plans to make power generation major NTPC a holding company of the energy sector by acquiring three or more state-run companies.

    First, NTPC will buy the government's 64 percent stake in SJVN, which will raise around Rs 6,500 crore at current valuation. At the same time, NHPC could acquire the North Eastern Electric Power Corporation from the government, an official told the paper.

    In the plan's next phase, transmission companies like Power Grid Corporation of India (PGCIL) may be brought in with NHPC to create a big power sector behemoth under NTPC, the official added. Smaller central public sector enterprises (CPSEs) like the Damodar Valley Corporation could also be included in this plan.

    "Essentially, NTPC becomes the holding company, with all these entities under its umbrella, but each company will retain management control," the official told the paper.

    Of its divestment target of Rs 80,000 crore, the government has only raised Rs 32,997 crore this fiscal. "This is not being done with the sole idea of disinvestment but for creating strong entities that can compete globally," another official said.

    Last week, the government received the Cabinet's approval to sell its entire 52.63 percent stake in power sector financing company REC to PFC, which is expected to fetch the Centre Rs 14,000 crore.

    Atanu Chakrabarty, Secretary to the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (Dipam), recently said he is confident the government will meet its target. "Pawan Hans, for which proposals have been invited, has received substantial competitive interest," he had said.

    Moneycontrol News
    first published: Dec 10, 2018 11:53 am

    Discover the latest Business News, Sensex, and Nifty updates. Obtain Personal Finance insights, tax queries, and expert opinions on Moneycontrol or download the Moneycontrol App to stay updated!

    Subscribe to Tech Newsletters

    • On Saturdays

      Find the best of Al News in one place, specially curated for you every weekend.

    • Daily-Weekdays

      Stay on top of the latest tech trends and biggest startup news.

    Advisory Alert: It has come to our attention that certain individuals are representing themselves as affiliates of Moneycontrol and soliciting funds on the false promise of assured returns on their investments. We wish to reiterate that Moneycontrol does not solicit funds from investors and neither does it promise any assured returns. In case you are approached by anyone making such claims, please write to us at grievanceofficer@nw18.com or call on 02268882347