Mar 11, 2010, 03.32 PM IST
Interesting numbers from the Forbes rich list
Mexican tycoon Carlos Slim is the new richest person in the world, knocking Microsoft founder Bill Gates into second spot, Forbes said on Wednesday.
exican tycoon Carlos Slim is the new richest person in the world, knocking Microsoft founder Bill Gates into second spot, Forbes said on Wednesday.
Here are some numbers from the Forbes 2010 ranking of the world's billionaires:
- There are 1,011 billionaires around the world in 2010, up from 793 last year. Of those 89 are women, up from 72 in 2009.
- There were 611 billionaires who increased their wealth in the past year. The fortunes of 62 fell, while 77 stayed even.
- There are 403 billionaires in the United States with a net worth of USD 1.3 trillion; this is up from 359 in 2009 and a value of USD 1.1 trillion.
- There are 248 billionaires in Europe with a net worth of USD 1 trillion, up from 196 billionaires last year with a fortune of USD 665 billion.
- In the Asia-Pacific region there are 234 billionaires worth USD 729 billion, compared with 130 billionaires in 2009 valued at USD 357 billion.
- The Middle East and Africa have 65 billionaires with a fortune of USD 181 billion, up from 58 last year worth USD 156 billion.
- The Americas (excluding the United States) accounts for 61 billionaires with a net worth of USD 304 billion, compared with 50 billionaires last year valued at USD 175 billion.
- There are 97 billionaires making their debut in 2010.
Thirty people have dropped off the list from last year, another 13 died, and 164 returned to the billionaire ranking.
From DJ EU Officials Spain Aid Cap Of 100 Bn Euros 'should Be Enough'
The latest earning numbers FIRST on CNBC-TV18