Micromax, which has grown rapidly since 2008 by selling low-cost smartphones, said earlier this month it would invest 3 billion rupees ($45 million) on constructing new factories and would make more phones in India to cut its dependence on Chinese imports.
"At present, we sell 1,50,000 mobile handsets per month including 50,000 smartphone handsets in MP. We intend to increase the smartphone handsets sales by 50 percent in the state," Micromax Informatics Chief Executive Officer Vineet Taneja told reporters here.
Consumer electronics firm Micromax is aspiring to capture 15 percent market share in the TV panel segment by next year and planning to set up a new unit to ramp up production of budget-range models by investing up to Rs 500 crore.
This latest launch is an attempt by the number two Indian smartphone brand to stem the fall in its market share, which has been under pressure since Xiaomi and other Chinese brands took India by storm with flash online sales last year.
Smartphone handset maker Micromax Informatics on Monday announced a "strategic investment" in ixigo, a mobile travel search and marketplace, as part of its ongoing investments of up to USD 20 million in over 20 startups in the coming year.
The vast bulk of Alibaba's revenue comes from its dominant domestic online marketplaces, but the company has been investing in a range of sectors abroad. Just this week it announced it would set up a cloud computing base in Dubai, and boosted its stake in US e-retailer Zulily Inc.
The deal, if completed, would see Alibaba investing as much as USD 1.2 billion, valuing Micromax, the second-biggest smartphone brand in India by sales, at USD 5 billion to USD 6 billion, two of the sources said.
A group of investors led by Japanese mobile telecom firm SoftBank Corp is in talks to buy a 20 percent stake in Indian handset maker Micromax Informatics for up to USD 1 billion, two people aware of the discussions said.
Micromax, which entered the Indian handset market in 2008 with cheap large-screen phones, will sell a minority stake in its initial public offering of shares, the newspaper said, citing unnamed bankers and a company executive.