Moneycontrol PRO
Upcoming Event:Attend Algo Convention Live, 2 Days & 12+ Speakers at best offer Rs.999/-, exclusive for Moneycontrol Pro subscribers. Register now!
you are here: HomeNewsBusiness

NCLT to hear Bank of India’s plea to admit Future Retail under insolvency on May 12

Bank of India on April 14 had filed insolvency proceedings against Future Retail for non-payment of dues

April 28, 2022 / 04:27 PM IST

The Mumbai bench of the National Company Law Tribunal on April 28 said that it will hear Bank of India's plea to admit Future Retail under insolvency on May 12.

The counsel for Future Retail told the bench that the company needs more time to file a reply to the Bank of India's petition. The bench was presided by Justices Pradeep Narhari Deshmukh and Shyam Babu Gautam.

Bank of India on April 14 had filed insolvency proceedings against Future Retail for non-payment of dues. Future Retail owes banks Rs 5,322.32 crore as of March 31, according to Bank of India’s petition in the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT), a lawyer said. Lenders to the company include Union Bank of India, State Bank of India, Bank of Baroda, and IDBI Bank, among others.

In 2019, Reliance Industries announced a $3.4 billion deal to acquire the Kishore Biyani-backed company’s retail, logistics, and warehouse assets. However, this snowballed into a legal battle with U.S. retailer Amazon, a stakeholder in Future Coupons, who opposed the deal.

In a stock exchange filing on April 23, Reliance Industries had said the $3.4 billion deal to take over the retail assets of Future Retail could not be implemented because the company's secured creditors had "voted against the scheme.”

Close

While over 75 percent of Future Group's shareholders and unsecured creditors had voted in favour of the deal with Reliance, 69.29 percent of secured creditors rejected the deal and the remaining 30.71 percent voted in favour of it, Future Retail said in an exchange filing on April 22.

DisclaimerMoneycontrol is a part of the Network18 group. Network18 is controlled by Independent Media Trust, of which Reliance Industries is the sole beneficiary.



Download your money calendar for 2022-23 here and keep your dates with your moneybox, investments, taxes

Siddhi Nayak is correspondent at Moneycontrol.com
first published: Apr 28, 2022 04:27 pm
Sections
ISO 27001 - BSI Assurance Mark