Moneycontrol PRO
HomeWorldWhy the Trump administration is firing hundreds at the State Department after Supreme Court ruling

Why the Trump administration is firing hundreds at the State Department after Supreme Court ruling

Supreme Court clears path for mass layoffs across federal agencies; first wave to hit domestic workforce.

July 11, 2025 / 14:29 IST
Senior State Department officials emphasized that the cuts are being made based on organizational functions rather than individual performance

The U.S. State Department has begun informing hundreds of U.S.-based employees that they will be laid off “in the coming days,” following a Supreme Court decision earlier this week that cleared the way for the Trump administration to carry out mass job cuts across federal agencies. The ruling ended a months-long legal freeze that had stalled one of the most controversial reforms initiated under President Trump’s second term: a far-reaching plan to shrink government by tens of thousands of positions, the Financial Times reported.

A 15% staff cut under a new efficiency doctrine

The State Department’s restructuring plan, announced in April by Secretary of State Marco Rubio, seeks to eliminate approximately 15% of the agency’s workforce. According to department officials, the effort is part of a larger White House initiative led by the so-called Department of Government Efficiency—an entity established by Trump and chaired by Elon Musk—to root out what they label as “waste, fraud, and abuse” across federal institutions.

Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce said on Thursday that the goal is to make the State Department more “relevant,” “effective,” and “quick.” She said the size and structure of the department had grown unwieldy over decades and was no longer fit for a modern foreign policy agenda.

No individual assessments—only office-wide reviews

Senior State Department officials emphasized that the cuts are being made based on organizational functions rather than individual performance. Critical skills like foreign languages or regional expertise were not guaranteed protection from termination. “We looked at the functions that were being performed, not at individuals,” said one senior official. “This is about aligning the department’s capabilities with the president’s foreign policy vision.”

Another official clarified that these layoffs would not yet affect the Foreign Service staff deployed at U.S. embassies and consulates overseas. “We are looking at our domestic footprint right now,” the official said. “This is step one.”

Legal challenges failed to halt the cuts

The plan to restructure federal agencies had faced legal pushback since its rollout. In May, a federal judge issued a temporary injunction blocking layoffs across 20 government departments, citing unresolved questions about the legality of the reorganization process. However, the Supreme Court’s ruling this week lifted the injunction and granted the administration broad authority to proceed.

The ruling not only applies to the State Department but also unlocks similar downsizing plans in agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Education, and the Department of Health and Human Services.

Scale of job losses still unclear

While the department has declined to disclose the precise number of individuals affected in this round, it previously informed Congress that about 1,800 jobs were on the chopping block. In addition, nearly 1,000 staffers have already exited voluntarily since the initiative was announced.

An internal email from Michael Rigas, the deputy secretary of state for management and resources, acknowledged the disruption. “Every effort has been made to support our colleagues who are departing,” he wrote. “On behalf of department leadership, we extend our gratitude for your hard work and commitment to executing the reorganization and for your ongoing dedication to advancing U.S. national interests.”

Critics warn of long-term harm to U.S. diplomacy

Critics of the plan have argued that these layoffs could hollow out essential diplomatic functions, weaken the U.S. presence abroad, and degrade capabilities in areas like global health, international development, and arms control. Former diplomats and foreign policy experts have voiced concern that the cuts are ideologically driven and risk undermining the very infrastructure that supports U.S. leadership on the world stage.

“There’s a difference between efficiency and gutting expertise,” said a former assistant secretary of state. “This is not reform—it’s a purge.”

What happens next

For now, the State Department is focusing on domestic staff, but officials have not ruled out further reductions across the diplomatic corps or within overseas missions in future phases. Department leadership says it will work closely with Congress and continue reassessing the department’s structure to ensure it aligns with President Trump’s foreign policy and budget priorities.

Meanwhile, morale within the agency is reported to be strained, with many career officials uncertain about their future. Additional rounds of restructuring are expected to follow in other departments in the coming months, now that the court has set a clear precedent for executive authority in federal workforce management.

MC World Desk
first published: Jul 11, 2025 02:13 pm

Discover the latest Business News, Sensex, and Nifty updates. Obtain Personal Finance insights, tax queries, and expert opinions on Moneycontrol or download the Moneycontrol App to stay updated!

Subscribe to Tech Newsletters

  • On Saturdays

    Find the best of Al News in one place, specially curated for you every weekend.

  • Daily-Weekdays

    Stay on top of the latest tech trends and biggest startup news.

Advisory Alert: It has come to our attention that certain individuals are representing themselves as affiliates of Moneycontrol and soliciting funds on the false promise of assured returns on their investments. We wish to reiterate that Moneycontrol does not solicit funds from investors and neither does it promise any assured returns. In case you are approached by anyone making such claims, please write to us at grievanceofficer@nw18.com or call on 02268882347