Moneycontrol PRO
HomeLifestyleMiss Universe 2025 controversy: What really happened between Nawat and Miss Mexico

Miss Universe 2025 controversy: What really happened between Nawat and Miss Mexico

There’s much drama unfolding just a few days before the final Miss Universe pageant. While the heated exchange between pageant director Nawat Itsaragrisil and Miss Mexico Fátima Bosch is one part of it, the cracks within the MUO are now wider and exposed to the public.

November 10, 2025 / 15:01 IST
Miss Universe 2025 has found itself in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons. A shocking on-stage insult to Miss Mexico sparked walkouts, apologies, and a global debate (Image: instagram)

A lot has unfolded in the past week in Thailand, where the 74th edition of Miss Universe is set to take place. A routine pageant event turned into one of the biggest controversies in history, as pageant director Nawat Itsaragrisil publicly slammed Miss Mexico Fátima Bosch, leading to a heated exchange that prompted several contestants to walk out.

The incident, which unfolded during a livestream, gained traction among pageant enthusiasts worldwide. It has led Bosch, Itsaragrisil, and the Miss Universe Organisation to do everything they can to address the matter. Here’s a timeline of events that have transpired so far.

Change in leadership

On October 29, less than a month before the main pageant, the Miss Universe Organisation (MUO) announced Mario Búcaro as its new CEO, replacing Anne Jakrajutatip, who resigned on June 20 due to restructuring at the JKN Global Group in Thailand.

The crucial move heightened tensions between MUO President Raúl Rocha Cantú and Nawat Itsaragrisil. The latter, a Thai executive, at the time held dual roles as president of Miss Grand International and vice president for Asia and Oceania within the Miss Universe Organisation.

Also Read: Miss Universe 2025: Manika Vishwakarma decides her outfit last minute: a see-through dress for the gala dinner

Tensions mount with public statements:

On November 2, the 120+ contestants arrived in Thailand, where they quickly got busy with registration, fittings, and other activities. Meanwhile, MUO slammed Nawat Itsaragrisil, the director of Miss Universe Thailand and executive director of the Miss Universe, for hosting a special dinner and talk show encouraging fans of the pageant to vote for their favourite contestants.

MUO wrote on its social media handle, “The Miss Universe Organisation reminds the public that any event, activity, or online initiative not announced through our verified channels is unauthorised. Please refer only to our official platforms for accurate and authentic information.”



Miss Universe Thailand’s official handle also clarified, “As the officially licensed host organisation, we hold the rights to manage and execute such promotional activities within our territory.”








View this post on Instagram

A post shared by @missuniversethailand

What made things worse:

On November 3, at a pre-pageant event, Nawat publicly reprimanded Miss Mexico Fátima Bosch, calling her a “dumb head,” which didn’t sit well with many. Bosch didn’t let the matter slide, and in a viral video said, “We respect you, just as you should respect us. I’m here representing my country, and it’s not my fault you have problems with my organisation. You must listen to me first, then argue with me.” This led many other participants to walk out, expressing their disappointment with the way things had been handled.

Bosch also spoke to the local Thai media: “I love Thailand. I respect your people and your culture deeply,” she said. “But what your director just did was not respectful. He called me dumb because he has issues with the organisation. That’s not fair. I’m here doing my best, being kind to everyone. He just attacked me and told me to shut up. The world needs to see this because we are empowered women, and no one should silence our voices.”

Nawat apologises for his conduct: The next day, Nawat issued an apology on his social media account: “If anyone feels bad, uncomfortable, or affected, I apologise to everyone. I especially apologised to the girls who were present, around 75 of them.”



He added, “Mario Búcaro, Miss Universe’s CEO, is very kind and will fly in tomorrow since I need someone fully authorised to work with me. That will make things easier and keep us aligned.”

Miss Universe Organization releases a statement: A part of the statement read, “The Miss Universe Organisation (MUO) reaffirms its commitment to working closely with the host community, the Miss Grand International Organisation (MGI), and all local partners to ensure the continued success of the 74th Miss Universe competition. Together, we are dedicated to upholding the highest standards of respect, safety, and integrity for all participants, staff, and stakeholders. A high-level delegation, led by the Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Mario Búcaro, is traveling to Thailand to strengthen collaboration with the host country, MGI, and relevant authorities.”


The whole controversy has not only exposed the differences that exist within the Miss Universe Organization but has also raised a larger debate about treating women with respect and dignity at a pageant meant to honour and celebrate them.

Gursimran Kaur Banga is a Delhi-based content creator, editor and storyteller.
first published: Nov 10, 2025 03:01 pm

Discover the latest Business News, Sensex, and Nifty updates. Obtain Personal Finance insights, tax queries, and expert opinions on Moneycontrol or download the Moneycontrol App to stay updated!

Subscribe to Tech Newsletters

  • On Saturdays

    Find the best of Al News in one place, specially curated for you every weekend.

  • Daily-Weekdays

    Stay on top of the latest tech trends and biggest startup news.

Advisory Alert: It has come to our attention that certain individuals are representing themselves as affiliates of Moneycontrol and soliciting funds on the false promise of assured returns on their investments. We wish to reiterate that Moneycontrol does not solicit funds from investors and neither does it promise any assured returns. In case you are approached by anyone making such claims, please write to us at grievanceofficer@nw18.com or call on 02268882347