Company History - Nirma
- The Company was incorporated on February 25, as Private Limited
Company to carry on the business of manufacturing and selling
Detergents, Soaps, Chemicals and Allied Products. The Company is
promoted by Shri Karsanbhai K. Patel.
- The Company became a deemed public limited Company under Section
of the Companies Act, 1956 and was then converted into a Public
Company by passing a special resolution at the Extra-ordinary
Meeting held on November 08.
- The Company proposes to set up a 1200 tpd (4,20,000 tpa) Soda Ash
Project in technical collaboration with AKZO NOBEL ENGINEERING BV
(AKZO) of Netherlands based on the Dry Lime Technology as a backward
integration to the existing activities.
- The company proposes to set up a facilities to manufacture Toilet
Soaps with an installed capacity of 60,000 tpa and Synthetic
with installed capacity of about 3,00,000 tpa.
- The Company will be entering into a long term agreement with the
Bhavnagar Municipal Corporation for providing of requisite quantity
- The Company came out with its maiden public issue of Equity Shares
Rs.10/- each for cash at a premium of Rs.100/- per share aggregating
for Rs.44.78 crores in February.
- The Company also ventured into manufacture of Fatty Acid,
Toilet Soaps, Sulphuric Acid and Alfa Olefin Sulphonate (AOS).
- Nirma Ltd. has become a multi product company representing a wide
array of product lines starting from Detergent Powders and personal
care products like Toilet Soaps to chemicals like Sulphuric Acid,
Glycerin, Alfa Olefin Sulphonates, Fatty Acids, Oxygen etc.
- The Brand name NIRMA is owned by Nirma Chemical Works Pvt. Ltd.
which has given a non exclusive license to AME thereby allowing AME
use the Nirma brand trade marks.
- The Company sells Sulphuric Acid, Oleum, Alfa Olefin Sulphonates,
Glycerin and Oxygen directly to industrial consumers on a regular
- The Company has also installed 26 Wind Turbine Generators (WTG)
a capacity of 5.94 MW to generate power at Dhank Dist., Rajkot.
- Nilnita Chemicals Limited will be amalgamated with the Company
effect from 1st April.
- The Company is setting up a desalination facility for producing
200 cu. mtrs per day of soft water.
- The Company proposes to establish R&D Centre at site for better
utilisation and infrastructural betterment.
- The Company has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with
Indian Oil Corporation Ltd., for release by I.O.C.L. of 80,000 MTPA
of LAB feed stock in case the Company decides to establish a plant
the production of 80,000 MTPA of Linear Alkyl Benzene.
- The company has also installed equipments for testing the
bio-degradability of various surfactants.
- The Company is setting up salt works facility at Kalatalav on
acres of land adjacent to its proposed Soda Ash plant for meeting
entire salt requirement.
- The Company has entered into an Agreement with Humphrey & Glasgow
Consultants Ltd. for Detailed Engineering, construction supervision
including Civil and Architectural Designs and Procurement Services
the Soda Ash Plant.
- The Company would be entering into Equipment Supply Agreement(s)
the Critical Plant & Equipment Suppliers which, inter-alia, should
provide for performance guarantee of the equipment, penal provisions
for non-fulfilment of guaranteed norms, delay in delivery and
in workmanship/design etc.
- During the year, Company has introduced Shampoo, which has been
marketed and has been accepted well by the consumers.
- During the year, on account of modernisation, Company has
successfully manufactured IP Grade (Pharmaceutical Grade) Glycerin
the same has been well accepted and is in good demand.
- The Company has technology tie up with UOP Inter Americana Inc.,
U.S.A. who will be providing technical and basic engineering
The Company has also tied up with Uhde India Limited for providing
detailed engineering services.
- Issue of 81,41,750 - 17% secured non convertible debentures and/or
secured premium notes of the face value of Rs 200 each for cash at
aggregating Rs 162,83,50,000 alongwith four detachable warrants
attached to each NCS/SPN, to the shareholders of the company on
basis in the ratio of one NCD/SPN for every two equity shares held
them on 9th August.
- Nirma is one of the country's largest detergent producers selling
over 4.5 lakh tonnes of detergent and having the largest market
in the low value mass market brands. Nirma, powder sells more than
Hindustan Lever's Wheel, though Hindustan Lever is the largest
of detergent and toilet soaps put together.
- Nirma Ltd is launching a mega public offer totalling Rs. 350
The offer will be distributed through the 100 per cent book-building
process, whereby the sale price of the share and the total size of
offer will be driven by demand for the stock.
- Nirma is not only India's largest selling brand in detergent
but is also the second largest manufacturer of toilet soap in the
- Nirma Ltd has entered into a separate agreement with Nirma
Works Ltd (NCWL), the trademark owner of the Nirma brand, for
- Nirma has entered into a separate agreement with Nirma Chemical
Works, the trademark owner of the `Nirma' brand, for exports.
- The company has created Nirma Consumer Care Ltd. - a wholly owned
subsidiary in August, which is the sole licensee of the brand name
Nirma within India.
- The 75,000 tpa linear alkyl benzene (LAB) plant was commissioned
December, at Alindra near Baroda in Gujarat.
- ICRA has assigned an LAAA rating to the Rs.200 crore
debentures programme of Nirma Ltd (NL), indicating highest safety.
- The company Nirma has already announced successful completion of
state-of-the-art 80,000 tpa Linear Alkyl Benzene plant.
- Nirma is one of the few Indian companies that have matched the
in the retail sales through innovative marketing strategies.
- The firm has set up state-of-the-art packaging and printing units
will now directly produce key raw materials to improve product
- The edible salt market is set to witness a keen battle with a new
entrant, Nirma Salt, about to hit the market.
- The company is putting up a three-stage vacuum salt plant with an
installed capacity of 280,000 tonnes a year.
- The overall sales growth has been constrained due to a plant
in the industrial product segment to manufacture N-Paraffin.
-Nirma maintains lead over HLL
-Nirma goes retailing, launches supermarket chain
-Nirma among top six Asia consumer picks
-Nirma gets into food retailing business
-Nirma ties up with P&G to manufacture Camay
-NERF sets up Nirma Labs to nurture talent
-Nirma acquires Saurashtra Chem for Rs 300 cr
-Nirma is diversifying into pharmaceutical sector.
- The Company has splits its face value from Rs.10/- to Rs.5/-.
-The company has designated E-mail ID for Investor Complaints:
-Nirma enters into definitive agreement for the acquisition of USA
based Natural Soda Ash producer
-Nirma has incorporated Karnavati Holdings Inc, in Delaware, U.S.A.,
a Wholly Owned Subsidiary (WOS) of the Company.
-The company has recommended Dividend @ 80%
-Nirma have recommended Dividend of Rs 4.50 per share on 159142282
equity shares of Rs 5/- each