Company History - Bharti Telecom
- The Company was Incorporated on 29th July, at New Delhi. The
was promoted by Rakesh B. Mittal and managed by a board of
professionals. The company manufacture electronic push button
telephone instruments. The Company's products are marketed under
brand name `BEETEL'.
- The Company entered into a technical collaboration agreement with
Siemens A. G., West Germany for supply of technology in terms of
completed technical know-how and documentation for a range of
electronic push button telephone instruments and also help in
selection/installation of plant and machinery.
- The Company entered into a technical collaboration agreement with
Takachiho Corporation of Japan for the manufacture of State-of-art
microprocessor based telephone answering machines.
- 1,90,960 No. of equity shares subscribed for by the promoters,
directors, etc. 14,59,040 shares then issued at par out of which
5,69,040 shares were reserved and allotted to were reserved and
allotted to promoters, directors, etc. Out of the remaining
the following shares were reserved for preferential allotment; (i)
82,500 shares to employees of the Company and associate companies
working Indian directors (partly subscribed); (ii) 17,800 shares to
business associates of the Company (partly taken up) and (iii)
shares to non-resident Indians on repatriation basis (only 1,68,200
shares taken up). The balance 5,89,700 shares along with
portion of 31,800 shares out of (i) & (ii) above and 31,800 shares
of (iii) above were offered for public subscription during Nov. 1986
(all were taken up).
- Additional order for 60,000 telephones were received from MTNL and
DOT. The Plan 103 System based on Siemens design was launched and
met with good response.
- The capital goods for Telephone answering machines were installed
training of engineers and trial runs were accomplished.
- A letter of intent was received for manufacture of cordless
telephones in the existing factory iteself. A collaboration
was signed with M/s. Lucky Goldstar International Corporation, South
Korea for the manufacture of said telephones.
- The Company entered into an agreement with spetspromsuyazsystema
the manufacture of telephone terminals in USSR. The Company also
up with Hartron to manufacture certain telecom transmission products
based on C-Dot Technology.
- The Company got approval for tune pulse switchable telephones and
plan 103(1+1) from Telecom Engineering Centre, Department of
- An agreement was signed with Premier Telecom Inc, U.S.A. a wholly
owned susidiary of United Telecom, to manufacture and export
telephones to U.S.A.
- The Company undertook to set up a plant at Delhi for the
of fax machines in technical collaboration with a Japanese Company
a series of other telecom products.
- The Company undertook a project to expand the existing capacity of
Push Button Telephones from 2,00,000 pieces to 5,00,000 pieces.
this project, two new units were being set up, one for domestic
at the site of existing plant in Ludhiana and the other for exports
Gurgaon near Delhi.
- The Company signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Premier
Products Inc. of USA for the export of 6,00,000 telephones within
- The Company tied up with Daewood Corporation of South Korea to
and distribute fax machines under the brand name `Beetel' and
to take-up manufacture of fax machines in the second phase.
- The Company also proposes to set up, operate and maintain value
services in the field of telecommunication viz. Cellular mobile
telephone service; paging etc., in collaboration with CGE of France,
Emtel of Mauritius and mobile systems U.K. Ltd. of U.K.
- During April, 8,66,250 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each were
for cash at a premium of Rs 15/- per share of which 8,25,000 shares
offered on rights basis to the existing shareholders in the
1:2. The Balance of 41,250 shares offered to employees/workers of
Company. Additional 1,29,937 shares issued to retain
(1,23,750 shares to shareholders and 6,187 shares to employees).
- During April, the Company issued 18,36,250 No. of equity shares of
10 each for cash at a premium of Rs 15 per share of which 6,46,800
shares reserved for preferential allotment as follows: (i) 2,55,300
shares to the shareholders of United Pharma International Ltd.
(All were taken up); and (iii) 91,500 shares to employees/workers of
the Company (only 36,600 shares taken up). The balance 11,89,450
shares alongwith 54,900 shares not taken up by the employees/workers
were offered for public subscription. Additional 2,75,438 shares
issued to retain oversubscription (38,295 shares to the shareholders
UPIL, 45,000 shares to NRIs and 1,92,143 to public).
- 12,142,125 No. of equity shares were issued to MFs, Bodies
and Promoters group on private placement.
- The Company has promoted Bharati Cellular Ltd. and Bharti Telenet
Ltd. in consortium with world leaders to provide cellular and basic
- The Company has also entered into strategic alliances with
International leaders for manufacture and marketing of Telecom
Terminals including Radio Pagers.
- The Company formed a joint venture company named Siemens Telecom
Ltd., with Siemens, one of the largest telecom companies in the
The Company ventured into yet another area to manufacture telecom
transmission products by acquiring a running profitable unit - Goa
Telecommunication & Systems Ltd. (G-Tel), Goa from Economic
Corporation of Goa, Daman & Diu.
- The Company maintained its position as the leading manufacturer of
telephones both in private and public sector.
- The Company promoted Bharti Televentures Ltd. as a subsidiary of
Company for the purpose of promoting a variety of telecom service
projects in India.
- The Company has set up separate exports department to export to
- The promoters of the company made a cash offer to acquire
No. of equity shares of Bharti Telecom pursuant to provisions of
(substantial acquisition of shares & Takeovers). In response
222,15,863 shares were acquired Another 11,48,600 shares were
under negotiated transactions.
- Reliance and Bharti Telenet are the two licencees for cellular
services in Himachal Pradesh.
- Bharti Telenet Ltd became the first private company to sign a
agreement which entitles it to provide telecom services in Madhya
Pradesh for 15 - year period beginning 1997.
- Bharti Telecom has entered into a joint venture with British
(BT) India to exploit the new opportunities opening up in the
satellite-based very small aperture terminal (VSAT) communication
business in India.
- The Bharti Telecom promoted basic services project in Madhya
is running behind schedule, primarily due to difficulties with local
authorities over digging of roads for the laying of lines.
- Bharti Enterprises, one of the promoter group companies of Bharti
Telecom Ltd, has entered into an agreement to acquire 26,69,400
representing 15.8 per cent of the paid up capital of Bharti Telecom.
This is subject to the approval of the Securities and Exchange board
- Bharti Dura-line, a joint venture between Bharti Telecom and the
US-based Duraline to manufacture telecom ducts, is targeting its
products at new players such as Indian Railways and PowerGrid
- It has a joint 49:51 joint venture with Siemens of Germany -
Siemens Telecom Ltd - which markets both Siemens and Beetel
- Bharti BT Internet, a joint-venture between Bharti Telecom and
British Telecom (BT), plans to launch its Internet service by March
1999. India is the world's largest emerging market for telecom
- BEPL, a private Ltd company, holds 23.89 per cent of the equity
capital of BTL. Bharti Telecom Finance Ltd also holds 4.99 per cent
the equity share capital of BTL.
- Private telecom companies like BPL, Bharti Telecom and
Telecommunications India Ltd (TCIL) have sought alliances with the
state-owned Power Grid Corporation (PGCIL) for using its wide
transmission network to enhance telecom services like internet
- Bharti Telecom, the flagship company of Bharti Enterprises, has
bagged Nepal Telecom Corporation's global tender worth $0.5 million
supplying 50,000 push button phones by end-June 1999, for a special
network expansion project funded by the World Bank.
- Bharti, the largest supplier of telephone handsets in India to the
department of telecommunications (DoT) under the Beetel brandname,
was also the first company to export state-of-the-art push button
phones to leading telecom companies like Sprint Corporation and
Corporation of USA. Bharti Telecom was the first to set up
manufacturing facilities for electronic push button telephones in
- A joint venture between Bharti Enterprises and British Telecom,
introduced Mantra Online, it is on the verge of launching a site
dedicated to teenagers.
- The Mumbai Stock Exchange (BSE) may take punitive action against
Delhi-based Bharti Telecom (BTL) for allegedly acting against
- Bharti BT Internet is a 51:49 per cent joint venture of the Sunil
Mittal promoted Bharti Enterprises and British Telecom. The company
launched operations and currently reports a user base of 46,000
customers (paid users: 35,000) in eight locations.
- Bharti Enterprises also has another joint venture with British
Telecom for V-Sats in India called Bharti BT.
- Bharti Enterprises, one of North India's largest telecom operator,
entered the south Indian markets by joining hands with J T Mobile,
cellular operator in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka, as a `strategic
- Bharti Cellular has tied the knot with Bangalore-based BPL Mobile
counter competition of the Hutchison and Essar combine lead by their
brand Orange in Mumbai and later in Delhi.
- Telecom terminal manufacturer Bharti Teletech has signed an MoU
UK-based cordless phone manufacturer SunCorp for collaborating on
projects to develop designs for cordless phones.
- British Telecom (BT) has offloaded its 44 per cent stake in Bharti
Cellular Ltd -- the cellular mobile service provider in Delhi -- to
joint venture partner, Bharti Enterprises. The transaction was worth
- The Sunil Mittal-promoted Bharti Enterprises on July 16, announced
had acquired Kolkata's cellular operator, SpiceCell, in an all-cash
deal. Bharti Enterprises acquired 100 per cent equity in SpiceCell.
- Bharti's acquisition of SpiceCell was part of its plans to seek a
nationwide presence in the telecom firmament, according to Mr Sunil
Bharti Mittal, Chairman & Group Managing Director of Bharti
-The Bharti-SingTel combine July 23 said it is pulling out of the
for a 25 per cent stake in Videsh Sanchar Nigam Ltd (VSNL), slated
disinvestment in the coming months.
- Bharti Enterprises has finalised a $150 million agreement with
leading telecommunication equipment providers -- Ericsson, Siemens
Motorola. According to an official statement from the company, the
three' have bagged the orders for building Bharti's cellular
infrastructure in the recently acquired eight circles, as well as
upgradation of its existing operations.
- The Cabinet on September 18 decided to restore Punjab cellular
licence to Bharti Mobile (earlier JT Mobile) and asked it pay the
outstanding dues of Rs 490 crore in cash. Bharti will also be issued
licences for all the cellular, basic and national long distance
services for which it has letters of intent.
- Bharati Enterprises has acquired a dominating controlling majority
stake of 89.5 per cent in SkyCell Ltd, one of the cellular service
providers in Chennai.
- The Bharti group will undertake a fresh valuation of Bharti
Televentures, its holding company for cellular and basic services,
following the addition of nine fresh cellular and basic circles in
portfolio. The group is expected to commence the valuation process
before the company's proposed initial public offering, Akhil Gupta,
chief financial officer of Bharti Televentures.
- The exact timing of the listing will only be decided after the
company gets the nod from Sebi, according to company sources.
Meanwhile, ahead of the IPO, Bharti has decided to issue bonus
to the company stakeholders.
- Bharti Enterprises has bagged eight circles for the fourth
slot as the Government today opened the third and final round of
following the Madras High Court vacating its stay on the bidding
- Bharti Enterprises, which had recently acquired the city-based
cellular service provider SpiceCell, would launch its own brand
in the Kolkata city in early December.We will launch AirTel brand in
the city in the first week of December.
- Touchtel, India's first and largest fixed-line telecom service
provider, has launched digital subscriber line service under the
Touchtel DSL brandname in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
- Airtel introduces poll update service