Union Cabinet approves 'Deep Ocean Mission' for use of sustainable renewable resources
The estimated cost of the 'Deep Ocean Mission' will be Rs 4,077 crore for a period of 5 years to be implemented in a phase-wise manner.
June 16, 2021 / 04:05 PM IST
Representational Image (Pixabay)
The 'Deep Ocean Mission' consists of the following six major components:
1) Development of technologies for deep sea mining, and manned submersible.
2) Development of ocean climate change advisory services.
3) Technological innovations for exploration and conservation of deep-sea biodiversity.
4) Deep ocean survey and exploration.
5) Energy and freshwater from the ocean.
6) Advanced marine station for ocean biology.
With this mission, the government said that it would make attempts to indigenise technologies by collaborating with leading institutes and private industries. A research vessel for deep ocean exploration would be built in an Indian shipyard which would create employment opportunities, the statement added.