Moneycontrol PRO
HomeEntertainmentApne 2 is happening, confirms filmmaker Deepak Mukut, calls it a tribute to late Dharmendra

Apne 2 is happening, confirms filmmaker Deepak Mukut, calls it a tribute to late Dharmendra

Apne 2 is officially back on track, and the intent behind it is heavier than before. Producer Deepak Mukut has dismissed cancellation rumours, calling the project an emotional responsibility rather than a routine sequel.

November 27, 2025 / 20:44 IST
Apne 2 is happening, confirms filmmaker Deepak Mukut, calls it a tribute to late Dharmendra

Apne 2 is back in motion, and this time the intent behind the film runs far deeper than a sequel. Producer Deepak Mukut has stepped in to shut down the rumours claiming the project had been scrapped, calling them both incorrect and insensitive. Here’s the thing: for the team behind Apne, this isn’t just another film on the slate. It is an emotional responsibility.

The original Apne, released in 2007, carried the rare magic of seeing Dharmendra with his sons Sunny and Bobby in a story built around family, redemption and love. The film has resurfaced in public memory ever since Dharmendra’s passing, and conversations around Apne 2 have naturally taken on more weight. Mukut’s clarification makes it clear that the sequel will move ahead with even stronger resolve.

He didn’t mince words when addressing the speculation. “People need to stop spreading unverified rumours. Apne 2 is NOT shelved. This film is happening, and it is happening with full conviction,” he said. The team, he explained, has been quietly shaping the film, and the idea of dropping it was never on the table. “Apne 2 is not only on track but remains one of the most emotionally significant projects undertaken by our banner.”

What this really means is that the film has shifted from being a long-awaited sequel to becoming a tribute. Mukut put that sentiment into words: “Apne belonged to Dharamji. His presence, his warmth, his soul everything he stood for made that film what it became. Apne 2 is extremely close to my heart. In many ways, the film will be a shradhanjali, a heartfelt homage to Dharamji. We want the sequel to celebrate him, his values, and the emotional world he created with the Deol family on screen.”

Also Read: Aishwarya Rai talks about 'street harassment' in new video, says, "don’t blame your dress or your lipstick"

The cast announced earlier featured Dharmendra, Sunny Deol, Bobby Deol and Karan Deol, though the sequel has been undergoing creative restructuring since the veteran actor’s death. The intention, however, remains consistent: to honour the spirit of the first film without diluting its emotional foundation.

Dharmendra’s passing on November 24 created a moment of collective grief across the film industry. Tributes flooded in, and stars visited to pay their respects. Hema Malini also shared a set of memories on social media, remembering the years they spent on and off the set.

Vaishnavi Gavankar
first published: Nov 27, 2025 08:43 pm

Discover the latest Business News, Sensex, and Nifty updates. Obtain Personal Finance insights, tax queries, and expert opinions on Moneycontrol or download the Moneycontrol App to stay updated!

Subscribe to Tech Newsletters

  • On Saturdays

    Find the best of Al News in one place, specially curated for you every weekend.

  • Daily-Weekdays

    Stay on top of the latest tech trends and biggest startup news.

Advisory Alert: It has come to our attention that certain individuals are representing themselves as affiliates of Moneycontrol and soliciting funds on the false promise of assured returns on their investments. We wish to reiterate that Moneycontrol does not solicit funds from investors and neither does it promise any assured returns. In case you are approached by anyone making such claims, please write to us at grievanceofficer@nw18.com or call on 02268882347