1984 - The Company was incorporated on 9th February as a private
company in the name and style of Genius Leasing Finance
Investment Company Limited. The business was commenced
March. It was promoted by S.K. Modi of the Modi Group
Companies. The main objective of the company is to
Private air taxi operation.
1993 - The name of the company was changed to MG Express Ltd. on
- The Company diversified its activities into domestic
operations. Since May, has been providing safe and
transportation for both the passenger and cargo. In the
phase of operations, three Boing 737-200 advance air
commissioned in service.
- The Company entered into an agreement with Lufthansa for
services and maintenance and training of flight crew.
Company was to pay DM 102,000 per plane, per month for
- The Company is to provide two classes of services, first
and economy class. Telecommunication lines were to be
established between airlines.
- In the second phase of operations, the Company was to
dry lease, four Boing 737-400, Advance Fuel Economic
and one Boing 737-200 aircraft. Three of the 737-400
would have a capacity of 150 seats and the remaining one
capacity of 164 seats.
- The Company entered into agreement with International
airlines such as Swissair, KLM-Royal Dutch Awtun, Qantas
Air Canada etc.
- 2,00,000 shares allotted to public. 240,00,000 No. of
shares of Rs. 10 each issued in May-June, as follows:
- 214,00,000 rights equity shares of Rs. 10 each in
107:1 (all were taken; up).
- 24,00,000 shares reserved for allotment to shareholders
- 2,00,000 shares to employees of Modi Threads Ltd.
- Another 150,00,000 shares were allotted to Business
1994 - In September, the Company signed an MOU with Indian Oil
Corporation Ltd. to arrange the imports of aviation
and the first consignment was expected in the 2nd week of
- Effective 12th April, the name of the company was
changed from MG
Express Ltd. to Modiluft Ltd.
- 242,00,000 No. of equity shares of Rs. 10 each were then
in November, at a premium of Rs. 30 per share on rights
prop. 1:1 (6,000 shares kept in abeyance).
- During the year under review the Company opened up
several new stations
and at present is connecting most of the major business
and tourist locations
across the Country.
- The Company proposes to expand its operations by adding
Boeing 737-400 aircraft to its existing fleet.
- On 23rd November, 1994, your Company was awarded the
coveted status of a
Scheduled Airline. Consequently, the Company has also
obtained the Associate
Membership of International Air Transport Association
- The Company further issued 1.50 crore Equity Shares of
Rs. 10/-each for cash at par
aggregating to Rs.15.00 crore to business associates on
preferential basis, thus taking the
total Paid Up Capital of the Company to Rs. 39.20 crore
during the year 1993-94.
- The Company has inter-line agreements with all major
foreign Airlines, an extensive
network of sales agents and worldwide communication
network for making reservations
from any part of the world which enables the Company to
earn revenue in foreign
1995 - The Company in its initial stage entered into an Agreement on
Technical Support which
was further strengthened with Management Agreement on
28th June, 1994.
- The Company is also setting up a working group in
respect of each of the areas to
ensure the desired results are achieved.
- ModiLuft has tied up their Frequent Flyer Programme -
MILES & SMILES with Deutsche
Lufthansa AG, with effect from 1st July, 1995.
- The Company also proposes to come out with a Rights
Issue of Rs. 31.70 crores to
acquire additional aircrafts as per Company's expansion
- Mrs. Malvika Poddar and Mr. Bernd Hildenbrand, Directors
retire by rotation, being eligible,
offer themselves for reappointment.
1997 - Mr. D.K.Babbar and Mr. Kartik Shanker Aiyer, Directors retire
by rotation and being
eligible, offer themself for reappointment.
1999 - The company has appointed Millenium Capital Management (Pvt.)
Khandwala Securities Ltd. as its Management and
- Mr. S. K. Modi and Mr. Merchant Bharat Bachubhai,
Director retire by rotation and being
eligible, offer themself for re-appointment.
2000 - Country's defunct private domestic carrier Modiluft Ltd.,
its operations in 1996, will be airborne again in
January in a New avataar as
- The Board has allotted 81,077,500 redeemable preference
shares of Rs 10
each to the Royal Holdings Service Ltd. USA.
- Modiluft Ltd has informed BSE that the Mr. Atul Sharma, Mr.
Kishore Gupta, Mr. Siddhartha Sharma, Mr. Mansukhlal
Kotecha and Mr. Vijay Kumar have been elected as Directors of
the Company with effect from December 31, 2001. The aforesaid
persons were earlier co-opted as Additional
Directors.The Company has also informed that Mr. J.N.Gupta, Mr.
S.K.Modi and Mr. B.B. Merchant have ceased to be Directors of
the Company with effect from the same
- The company re-issued 1895348 forfeited equity shares of Rs 10
each at par on private placement basis
-The company has been informed by Delhi Stock Exchange that the
shares of the company are delisted wef December 10, 2003.
-SpiceJet launches Delhi-Ahmedabad-Mumbai service on May 24, 2005
-SpiceJet launches its six-day a week services to Jammu and Srinaga
on Nov 11, 2005
-Company has changed its name from Royal Airways Ltd. to Spicejet
-SpiceJet ties up with Indiatimes
-SpiceJet joins hands with Nomura on Aug 15,2006
-Spicejet Ltd has informed that Mr. Osman Qureshi (nominee of
Istithmar PJSC) has been appointed as director on the Board of the
- SpiceJet stated that it will order 30 Boeing 737-800 aircraft to
take its fleet size to 58 planes.
-Mr. S. Sridharan has been appointed as the Whole Time Director of
-Mr. R Neelakantan has been appointed as the Chief Financial Officer
(CFO) of the Company
-Awarded for Best Website at ‘World Low Cost Airlines Asia Pacific
-Voted as India’s Best Low Cost Airline by Outlook Traveller
-Registered Office of the Company has been shifted To Murasoli Maran
Towers, 73, MRC Nagar Main Road, MRC Nagar, Chennai - 600028, Tamil
-Mr. Chandan Sand has been appointed as GM (Legal) & Company
Secretary of the Company.
-SpiceJet gets DGFT nod to direct import of ATF
-Voted as India’s Favourite Domestic Airline for the year 2012 by
-India’s International Low Cost Carrier of the Year 2012 by Travel
Agents Association of India
-India’s Most Outstanding Airline LCC-Domestic Award, by Travel and
-Spicejet Ltd. - Spicejet and Tigerair to strengthen India -
Singapore links via interline
-SpiceJet introduces low-cost Sharjah- Lucknow flight
-SpiceJet to fly Pune-Sharjah flights from Sept. 21
-SpiceJet flies high on tie up with Singapore & 39 s Tigerair scrip
zooms over 12%
-SpiceJet offers festival season sale
-SpiceJet launches Rs 499 & Early Bird &rsquo offer
-SpiceJet runs into more turbulence, flights grounded
-SpiceJet extends Rs 1,999 monsoon offer pan-India
-JPMorgan, Singh plan to invest 0 mn in SpiceJet