HomeNewsTechnologyAutoSiddhartha Lal blames third party workers for Royal Enfield Chennai plant strike; stir ends

Siddhartha Lal blames third party workers for Royal Enfield Chennai plant strike; stir ends

Royal Enfield is estimated to have seen a production loss of 35,000 units in the last seven weeks because of the strike.

November 13, 2018 / 16:27 IST
Story continues below Advertisement

Swaraj Baggonkar Moneycontrol News

The tool down strike that resulted in a production loss of several thousand models at the Royal Enfield Tamil Nadu plant has been called off but not before senior management at Eicher Motor accused an ‘external leadership’ for the strike.

The 50-day old strike that started on September 24 was called off Monday night following a breakthrough in talks involving the workers, Eicher Motors management and district collector.

Story continues below Advertisement

Siddhartha Lal, Managing Director and CEO, Eicher Motors said, “We support the formation of a union. In fact, we have an elected committee within our plant. The main principle issue at Oragadam (plant) is that we do not recognize the external political leadership which is at odds with the company’s and employees’ objectives. These are third parties who do not necessarily have the best interest of employees or company in mind often have their axe to grind as well."

Royal Enfield is estimated to have seen a production loss of 35,000 units in the last seven weeks because of the strike. However, the company pegs the loss at 28,000 units. Eicher Motors said in a conference call on Monday that it had lost 25,000 units production by the end of October and 800 units a day in November so far.