HomeNewsBusinessOPEC+ has agreement in principle to delay oil output hike

OPEC+ has agreement in principle to delay oil output hike

Ministers from the group will meet online later on Thursday to finalize details of the accord, with the main focus on a delay of three months, delegates said, asking not to be identified because the talks were private.

December 05, 2024 / 16:31 IST
Story continues below Advertisement
OPEC offices in Vienna.
OPEC offices in Vienna.

OPEC+ already has an agreement in principle to postpone planned January production increase, with discussions continuing about the duration of the delay, delegates said.

Ministers from the group will meet online later on Thursday to finalize details of the accord, with the main focus on a delay of three months, delegates said, asking not to be identified because the talks were private.

Story continues below Advertisement

The group led by Saudi Arabia and Russia has firmed up a deal to once again postpone a sequence of supply increases, which had been due to begin with a hike of 180,000 barrels a day in January. With oil prices currently too low to cover government spending plans, OPEC+ members have been unable to raise output for fear of sending crude even lower.

They have already been forced twice to defer the increases, as faltering demand in China and brimming supply from the Americas weigh on prices. Brent futures have retreated roughly 18% since early July to trade near $73 a barrel.