Moneycontrol
HomeWorldHong Kong high-rise fire kills 44, nearly 300 missing in city’s worst inferno in decades

Hong Kong high-rise fire kills 44, nearly 300 missing in city’s worst inferno in decades

Hong Kong Fire:Hundreds of people remain unaccounted for in what has become the city’s deadliest blaze in decades

November 27, 2025 / 04:47 IST
Story continues below Advertisement
Firefighters spray water on flames as a major fire engulfs several apartment blocks at the Wang Fuk Court residential estate in Hong Kong's Tai Po district

The death toll from a high-rise fire in Hong Kong rose to at least 44 on Thursday, officials said, as the blaze continued to smoulder and police announced the arrest of three suspects.

Hundreds of people remain unaccounted for in what has become the city’s deadliest blaze in decades.

Story continues below Advertisement

The fire erupted on Wednesday afternoon across an eight-building residential complex containing around 2,000 apartments, shocking the densely populated financial hub known for its towering high-rises.

At an early morning briefing, the fire department revised the death toll from 36 to 44. Police later said in a brief advisory that three men had been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter, without providing further details about their alleged roles.