The Ministry of External Affairs on Saturday said that Pakistan breached the understanding between the two countries to stop firing and military action. Addressing a special press briefing at night, Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri said the Army has been given a free hand to respond to give appropriate response to Pakistani actions.
"An understanding was reached this evening between the DGMOs of India and Pakistan to stop the military action that was going on for the last few days. For the last few hours, this understanding is being violated by Pakistan. The Indian Army is retaliating and dealing with this border intrusion. This intrusion is extremely condemnable and Pakistan is responsible for it. We believe that Pakistan should understand this situation properly and take appropriate action immediately to stop this intrusion," Misri said.
"The Armed Forces are maintaining a strong vigil on the situation and have been given instructions to deal strongly with any instances of repetition of the violations of the borders along the international border as well as the line of control," he added.
Barely hours after India and Pakistan reached an understanding to end military action on Saturday, Jammu and Kashmir was shaken by a series of drone sightings followed by explosions, prompting security personnel to engage air defence systems to bring them down.
The episodes in Kashmir as well as Jammu province evoked severe concerns of possible violation by Pakistan of the freshly announced truce, officials said.
In Srinagar, citizens reported several blasts after dusk, with air defence forces engaging a drone flying over the Batwara neighborhood, close to a strategic Army facility. Officials confirmed that the drone was downed.
The blasts, which came about every 15 minutes and were preceded by flares illuminating the dark sky, caused instantaneous alarm and confusion.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah vented his scepticism about the "ceasefire" declaration on social media during the evolving events.
"This is no ceasefire. The air defence units in the middle of Srinagar just opened up," he posted on X, adding, "What the hell just happened to the ceasefire? Explosions heard across Srinagar!!" Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri announced that the directors general of military operations (DGMOs) of India and Pakistan have agreed to stop all firings and military action on land, air and sea with effect from 5 pm on Saturday. The brief announcement by the foreign secretary came shortly after US President Donald Trump said India and Pakistan have agreed to a "full and immediate ceasefire" after talks mediated by the US.
Drone activity was reported across the Kashmir Valley and subsequently destroyed by an anti-drone system over Baramulla town in north Kashmir around 8.20 pm.
Another drone was reportedly brought down at Anantnag high ground, also in close proximity to an Army installation.
Sightings of drones were also reported from Anantnag district's Verinag and Bandipora, and Safapora too, with details yet to be received.
The concurrent drone activity and blasts in both areas, so shortly after the announcement of the understanding arrived at earlier on Saturday evening, have sparked grave doubts about the sincerity of Pakistan towards the truce and the possibility of increased escalation, the officials said.
Discover the latest Business News, Sensex, and Nifty updates. Obtain Personal Finance insights, tax queries, and expert opinions on Moneycontrol or download the Moneycontrol App to stay updated!
