HomeNewsBusinessReal EstateOver 400 real estate cases being heard at NCLT: CREDAI

Over 400 real estate cases being heard at NCLT: CREDAI

Real estate developers are concerned that a single homebuyer can drag a realtor to NCLT and have proposed that the limit be set at two-third homebuyers

October 29, 2019 / 16:20 IST
Story continues below Advertisement

As many as 450 cases involving real estate projects are being heard by multiple branches of the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT), CREDAI NCR estimates. Of these, 170 cases are being heard at NCLT Delhi-NCR branches and concern as many as 70 real estate developers.

Recently, CREDAI proposed to the Corporate Affairs Ministry that the minimum threshold for homebuyers, who should be able to initiate insolvency proceedings against realtors, should be at least two-third of homebuyers (in a project), Prashant Solomon, Managing Director, Chintels India, and Treasurer, CREDAI-NCR told Moneycontrol.

Story continues below Advertisement

“We are concerned about the fact that under IBC a single homebuyer can take a real estate firm to NCLT. This is not only detrimental to the realtor but also to the homebuyer. In most cases, it is the speculator/investor who is taking buyers to this forum rather than the actual end-user,” said Gaurav Gupta of SG Estates and Joint Secretary, CREDAI-NCR.

Earlier this month, Corporate Affairs Secretary Injeti Srinivas had flagged off similar concerns and said the minimum threshold should be looked at. "It has been observed that in a few sectors there has been a spate of applications, where a single class borrower has triggered IBC. If a single homebuyer is triggering IBC because the Rs 1 lakh threshold has been crossed or one day default has been crossed, an otherwise well-functioning company comes to NCLT. It is not a very happy situation," he said.