HomeWorldTrump to deploy 500 additional National Guard troops to DC: Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth

Trump to deploy 500 additional National Guard troops to DC: Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth

Pete Hegseth said his team was first informed that "two National Guardsmen had been shot in Washington, DC, critically wounded

November 27, 2025 / 05:21 IST
Story continues below Advertisement
Pete Hegseth
Pete Hegseth

US Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth announced that President Donald Trump has directed the deployment of 500 additional National Guard troops to Washington, DC, following the shooting of two Guardsmen near the White House.

Hegseth said his team was first informed that "two National Guardsmen had been shot in Washington, DC, critically wounded." Calling the attack deliberate, he said, "The shooter shot in a cowardly, dastardly act targeting the best of America."

Story continues below Advertisement

He described the injured Guardsmen as individuals who serve out of commitment to the country. "Heroes willing to serve in Washington, DC, serve for people they don't know, and they've never met, because they love their country and their capital and their community," he said. "They were willing to do dangerous things; others were not, because they love their fellow Americans."

Hegseth said the attack appeared to target service members. "Someone decided to turn that into targeting National Guardsmen. That will only stiffen our resolve. We will never back down. We will secure our capital. We will secure our cities."