United States President Donald Trump described Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese Premier Xi Jinping as “tough, smart leaders” who must be taken seriously during his first CBS News interview since settling a lawsuit with the network’s parent company earlier this year.
Appearing on 60 Minutes on Sunday night, Trump offered candid views on global leadership, his relationship with world powers, and ongoing international conflicts.
When asked which of the two leaders was tougher to deal with, Trump said both were equally formidable. “Both tough. Both smart. They’re both very strong leaders. These are people not to be toyed with,” he said. “They’re serious people, not the type to walk in talking about how nice the weather is.”
Trump blames Biden for the Ukraine conflict
Trump reiterated that the Russia-Ukraine war would not have happened under his leadership, blaming his successor, Joe Biden, for the escalation. “That was a war that would’ve never happened if I was president,” he said. “I inherited a country where Putin thinks he’s winning. Joe Biden was the president when it happened.”
He contrasted his presidency with the current administration, asserting that global tensions were more contained during his tenure. “There was never even a doubt,” he said, adding that his administration had rebuilt the US military. “I rebuilt our military during my first term. We make the best weapons in the world,” Trump said, noting that those weapons are now being used in the Ukraine conflict.
Trump on ties with Xi Jinping
Discussing his relationship with Chinese Premier Xi Jinping, Trump struck a tone of mutual respect. “We get along great, and we always really have. He’s a strong man and a very powerful leader,” he said. Despite tensions over the COVID-19 pandemic, he maintained that their relationship remained “as good as it gets.”
Defending his trade policies, Trump said his tariff strategy against China was “strategic and temporary,” aimed at rebalancing trade rather than punishing Beijing. “It was a hurt because I was taking in a lot of money from China,” he said.
He also referred to his recent policy shift, announcing a 10 per cent cut in tariffs on Chinese goods, from 57 to 47 per cent, which he called a “gesture of good faith” following “very constructive” talks with Xi in South Korea.
Discover the latest Business News, Sensex, and Nifty updates. Obtain Personal Finance insights, tax queries, and expert opinions on Moneycontrol or download the Moneycontrol App to stay updated!
