Moneycontrol PRO
HomeWorldDonald Trump announces death of National Guard troop shot near White House

Donald Trump announces death of National Guard troop shot near White House

Donald Trump, speaking ahead of a Thanksgiving video call with US service members, praised Beckstrom as a 'highly respected, young, magnificent person,' adding that he had been informed of her death moments before joining the call.

November 28, 2025 / 05:47 IST
US President Donald Trump

US President Donald Trump on Thursday confirmed that Sarah Beckstrom, one of the two National Guard troops shot near the White House a day earlier, had died from her injuries, while the second soldier remains in critical condition.

Donald Trump, speaking ahead of a Thanksgiving video call with US service members, praised Beckstrom as a “highly respected, young, magnificent person,” adding that he had been informed of her death moments before joining the call.

Sarah Beckstrom, 20, died of her wounds and her fellow Guardsman Andrew Wolfe, 24, was "fighting for his life," Trump said, as investigators conducted what officials said was a terrorism investigation after Wednesday's shooting.

“The other young man, is fighting for his life. He's in very bad shape,” Trump said as he addressed the troops.

"I want to express the anguish and the horror of our entire nation that the terrorist attack yesterday in our nation's capital, in which a savage monster gunned down two service members in the West Virginia National Guard, who were deployed as part of the DC Task Force," Trump said in a Thanksgiving call for U.S. military service members.

Trump said the suspect's "atrocity reminds us that we have no greater national security priority than ensuring that we have full control over the people that enter and remain in our country."

Armed with a powerful revolver, a .357 Magnum, the gunman shot one member who fell and then shot again before firing multiple times at the second member. The gunman was wounded in an exchange of fire with Guard members before he was arrested. He was in hospital under heavy guard on Thursday, and Trump said he was in serious condition.

The alleged assailant, who lived in Washington state with his wife and five children, appeared to have acted alone, said Jeff Carroll, executive assistant chief of the Washington Metropolitan Police Department.

 *With Agency Inputs
Moneycontrol News
first published: Nov 28, 2025 05:31 am

Discover the latest Business News, Sensex, and Nifty updates. Obtain Personal Finance insights, tax queries, and expert opinions on Moneycontrol or download the Moneycontrol App to stay updated!

Subscribe to Tech Newsletters

  • On Saturdays

    Find the best of Al News in one place, specially curated for you every weekend.

  • Daily-Weekdays

    Stay on top of the latest tech trends and biggest startup news.

Advisory Alert: It has come to our attention that certain individuals are representing themselves as affiliates of Moneycontrol and soliciting funds on the false promise of assured returns on their investments. We wish to reiterate that Moneycontrol does not solicit funds from investors and neither does it promise any assured returns. In case you are approached by anyone making such claims, please write to us at grievanceofficer@nw18.com or call on 02268882347