Moneycontrol
you are here: HomeNewsWorld
Last Updated : Nov 10, 2018 09:31 AM IST | Source: Reuters

US to halt refueling of Saudi-led coalition aircraft in Yemen's war

A US official said Washington supported the Saudi decision.

The United States (US) is halting refueling of aircraft from the Saudi-led coalition engaged in Yemen, Saudi Arabia said on November 10, a move that would end one of the most divisive aspects of US assistance to the Saudi war effort.

Saudi Arabia, in a statement released by the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA), said it had decided to request an end to US aerial refueling for its operations in Yemen because it could now handle it by itself.

A US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Washington supported the Saudi decision.

The change comes at a time of international outrage over the murder of US-based Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, and after Democratic and Republican lawmakers threatened to take action in Congress next week over the refueling operations.

Critics of the Saudi campaign - including Democrats who won control of the House of Representatives in elections on Tuesday - have long questioned US involvement in the war, which has killed more than 10,000 people, displaced more than 2 million and led to widespread famine in Yemen since it began in 2015.

"I've been calling for this for over three years," said Representative Ted Lieu, a Democrat from California.

"We shouldn't be supporting coalition war crimes and I look forward to continuing to scrutinize the US's role in Yemen when we're in the majority next Congress."

Even as President Donald Trump's administration has condemned Khashoggi's murder, the White House has sought to preserve its relationship with Saudi Arabia.

Any coordinated decision by Washington and Riyadh to halt to refueling could be an attempt by both countries to forestall further action by Congress.

Senators Todd Young, a Republican, and Jeanne Shaheen, a Democrat, had warned the Trump administration was running out of time to act.

"If the administration does not take immediate steps... we are prepared to take additional action when the Senate comes back into session," Young and Shaheen said.

MORE TIME FOR BOMBERS

The Pentagon, State Department and White House declined to comment.

Earlier this year, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis defended US military support to Saudi-led coalition forces in Yemen, when lawmakers weighed forcing the Pentagon to end Washington's involvement in the conflict.

Mattis argued that halting US military support could increase civilian casualties, since US refueling had given pilots more time to select their targets. He told them cutting off support could jeopardize cooperation on counter-terrorism and reduce American influence with Saudi Arabia.

Mattis also argued it would embolden the Iran-aligned Houthi rebels, who have fired missiles at Saudi Arabia and targeted commercial and military vessels off Yemen's coast.

A halt to refueling could have little practical effect on the war. US officials told Reuters only a fifth of Saudi-led coalition aircraft require in-air refueling from the United States.

In recent weeks, Mattis has appeared to voice a growing sense of urgency toward ending the conflict. At the end of October, Mattis joined US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in calling for a ceasefire.

 
First Published on Nov 10, 2018 09:29 am
Loading...
Sections
Follow us on
Available On