you are here: HomeNewsWorld
Live now
Sep 15, 2017 10:07 PM IST | Source:

London train terror incident: Reports suggest attacker has been identified, manhunt underway

Updates after reports of an explosion on a London Underground train.

  • Sep 15, 08:00 PM (IST)

    What has happened so far:

    > An explosion happened onboard a District line train bound for central London around 8:20 am (local time), at the Parsons Green station.
    > The London Metropolitan Police declared it a "terror incident".
    > The probe which was being handled by the British transport police (BTP), was taken over by the Scotland Yard's counter terrorism command.
    > The police asked for more information from eyewitnesses and said probe was still on.
    > PM Theresa May to chaired a high-level COBRA meeting.
    > 22 people were injured and were being treated at various hospitals. However, none are thought to be in life-threatening or serious condition.
    > Media reports suggest that the attacker has been identified of using CCTV footage and that a manhunt is underway.

  • Sep 15, 09:57 PM (IST)

    Increased security for weekend's Premier League match

    Chelsea will increase security at the Stamford Bridge stadium for Sunday’s Premier League match against Arsenal, following the terrorist incident today, the Independent has reported.

  • Sep 15, 09:12 PM (IST)

    Eight patients have been discharged

    All eight patients treated at the Guy's and St Thomas’ Hospital after today's incident at Parsons Green have been treated and safely discharged, the hospital said.

  • Sep 15, 08:44 PM (IST)
  • Sep 15, 08:39 PM (IST)
  • Sep 15, 07:53 PM (IST)

    Terror suspect identified?

    British media reports suggest that the police have identified the terror suspect from the Parsons Green terror incident this morning, after inspecting the CCTV footage.

    The official statement has been issued yet.

  • Sep 15, 07:50 PM (IST)

    PM Theresa May has decided not to increase the security threat level from 'severe' to 'critical'.

  • Sep 15, 07:49 PM (IST)

    Police evacuate Parsons Green station surroundings

    The police have evacuated an area 50 meters in radius around the Parsons Green station, as a precautions in case the bomb left on the train remains unstable.

    "The evacuation has been necessary whilst specialist officers secure the remnants of the improvised device and ensure it is stable," the statement said.

    "A small number of residents will be affected by the evacuation, which encompasses an area approximately 50 meters in radius. Parsons Green tube remains closed and the public are advised to continue to avoid the area," it added.

  • Sep 15, 07:17 PM (IST)

    London Underground train services remain affected

    Part of London's busy underground train system was closed on Friday following a bomb attack which police are treating as a terrorist incident.

    Trains between Wimbledon and Edgware Road in west London on the District line were suspended swiftly after the incident.

    A further stretch of the District line between High St Kensington and Edgware Road which had reopened was closed again due to the attack which injured 22 people.

    "It is related to the Parsons Green incident," a spokesman for Transport for London said.

  • Sep 15, 07:02 PM (IST)

    Train services have been suspended between High Street Kensington and Edgware Road stations

    London Underground has said there is no service between High Street Kensington and Edgware Road stations as police respond to an incident, Irish Times is reporting.

    However, it is unclear if the incident is related to today's Parsons Green terror incident.

  • Sep 15, 06:41 PM (IST)

    COBRA meeting underway

    PM Theresa May is currently chairing a COBRA meeting at her residence - 10 Downing Street.

    Cabinet Office Briefing Rooms (COBRA) refers to a crisis response committees set up to co-ordinate actions of government bodies in response to instances of national or regional crisis.

  • Sep 15, 06:32 PM (IST)
  • Sep 15, 06:15 PM (IST)

    Kings Cross scare

    Meanwhile, police carried out a brief search operation at Kings Cross, London after an abandoned car was found along with a suspicious item, some eyewitness accounts suggested on social media.

    The police had cordoned off the area for a while, eyewitnesses claimed. There has been no official statement on this development yet.

  • Sep 15, 05:42 PM (IST)

    London Metropolitan Police says that no arrest has been made yet

    Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, from the head of national counter-terrorism policing, said: "There are many urgent inquiries ongoing with hundreds of detectives involved, looking at CCTV, carrying out forensic work and speaking to witnesses."

    "Detectives from the Counter Terrorism Command, part of the national counter-terrorism police network, are making fast-time inquiries to establish who was responsible and are working closely with the security services. So far there have been no arrests," a statement from the metropolitan police has said.

    "We believe the fire was caused by the detonation of an improvised device, which is being forensically examined," the statement has added.

  • Sep 15, 05:37 PM (IST)

    London mayor confirms that a manhunt is underway

    Speaking to LBC Radio, London's mayor Sadiq Khan confirmed that "a manhunt underway as we speak.”

    He also said that he was not allowed to say whether that meant a specific suspect was being sought.

  • Sep 15, 05:27 PM (IST)

    Amber Rudd, UK's Home Secretary has condemned the attack.

    The statement said, "Once more people going about their everyday lives have been targeted in a callous and indiscriminate way. My thoughts are with all those injured and affected."

    "The police and emergency services were quickly on the scene and I would like to pay tribute again to their professionalism and tireless commitment. I am receiving regular updates on what is an ongoing and active investigation. I would urge Londoners to remain alert and assist the police and emergency services as much as they can," it added.

  • Sep 15, 05:22 PM (IST)

    UK Home Office's support for affected people

    The UK Home Office has launched support for people affected by the attack at Parsons Green. Here are the details.

  • Sep 15, 05:12 PM (IST)

    Manhunt launched

    The Guardian has reported that a "massive manhunt" is underway for "whoever planted the home-made device" on the tube carriage at Parsons Green station.

    The newspaper also said that detectives were examining CCTV footage from the London underground network.

  • Sep 15, 05:07 PM (IST)
  • Sep 15, 05:05 PM (IST)

    National Health Service confirm 22 injured

    The National Heath Service (NHS) has confirmed that 22 people were injured in the terror incident.

    The statement issued by the service said that the injured were being treated at four hospitals in London - Imperial (3), Chelsea and Westminster (8), Guy's and St Thomas' (8) and  Central London Community Healthcare Urgent Care Centre in Parsons Green (3).

    The London Ambulance had taken 18 people to various hospitals. However, another four had self-presented.

  • Sep 15, 04:57 PM (IST)

    Londoners to see more police: Mayor Sadiq Khan

    London Mayor Sadiq Khan has said that Londoners will see more police on the streets of the city after what officers said was a "terrorist incident."

    "They will see over the course of today and the next few days an enhanced police presence, not simply on the public transport network but also across London," Khan told LBC Radio.

  • Sep 15, 04:54 PM (IST)
  • Sep 15, 04:48 PM (IST)

    'Device had an attached timer'

    Police sources have told Sky News that a timer was attached to the improvised explosive device (IED). The significant development is likely to help the police investigate.

  • Sep 15, 04:31 PM (IST)

    Donald Trump reacts to the terror incident

    United States President Donald Trump has reacted to the London train terror incident.

    "Another attack in London by a loser terrorist.These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!" he said via Twitter.

    "Loser terrorists must be dealt with in a much tougher manner.The internet is their main recruitment tool which we must cut off & use better!" he said.

    "The travel ban into the United States should be far larger, tougher and more specific-but stupidly, that would not be politically correct!" he added.

  • Sep 15, 04:25 PM (IST)

    London underground tubes can be seen held at Parsons Green tube station in London, Britain, September 15, 2017. (REUTERS/Hannah McKay)

      London underground tubes can be seen held at Parsons Green tube station in London, Britain, September 15, 2017. (REUTERS/Hannah McKay)
  • Sep 15, 04:17 PM (IST)

    London to witness heightened police presence through the day

    Mark Rowley, Assistant Commissioner for Specialist Operations of the Metropolitan Police Service has confirmed that an improvised explosive device (IED) was used.

    He also said that the 18 people who had been taken to various hospitals mostly suffered from flash burns.

    While addressing the press, Rowley said that the operation after the incident was led by the London Metropolitan Police and was still being investigated by them along with national counter terrorism agencies.

    He also said that London will witness more police presence through the day, especially on transport systems.

  • Sep 15, 04:17 PM (IST)

    The device 'partially exploded'?

    Met police sources have said that the device only 'partially exploded', The Guardian has reported.

  • Sep 15, 03:57 PM (IST)

    London Ambulance Service has given more details:

    “We were called at 8:20 am today, with the first ambulance crew arriving within five minutes. We have sent a number of resources to the scene including ambulance crews, officers and our Hazardous Area Response Team," the service said in a statement.

    “We are working closely with our colleagues from the Metropolitan Police, British Transport Police and London Fire Brigade at the scene; ensuring patients receive the medical help they need as quickly as possible," the statement further said.

    “As we are very busy dealing with this incident, we would ask the public to only call us in a genuine emergency,” it added.

  • Sep 15, 03:51 PM (IST)

    London Ambulance Service: 18 people taken to hospital

    The London Ambulance Service has said that they have taken "18 patients to a number of London hospitals."

    The service also said that none of them are thought to be in a serious or life-threatening condition.

  • Sep 15, 03:45 PM (IST)

    Device did not fully detonate?

    Sky News has reported citing unnamed sources that the device used during the terror incident, did not fully detonate.

Follow us on
Available On