HomeNewsTrendsCurrent AffairsUttarakhand Tunnel Collapse: Snag set right, drilling to resume at Silkyara tunnel, say officials

Uttarakhand Tunnel Collapse: Snag set right, drilling to resume at Silkyara tunnel, say officials

Officials, at an afternoon news briefing, said that the technical problem that stalled the drilling on Wednesday had been set right, and the operation would begin in the next couple of hours.

November 24, 2023 / 16:10 IST
Story continues below Advertisement
dwa
The boring would resume after the another section of steel pipes is welded to the chute already pushed through

Rescue workers were set to begin drilling at the collapsed Silkyara tunnel Friday after putting it on hold for several hours, following a snag that delayed the operation to evacuate 41 men trapped inside for 12 days, officials said.

Officials, at an afternoon news briefing, said that the technical problem that stalled the drilling on Wednesday had been set right, and the operation would begin in the next couple of hours. The boring would resume after the another section of steel pipes is welded to the chute already pushed through, they said.

Story continues below Advertisement

A ground penetrating radar has indicated that there are no metal hurdles up to five metres ahead of the passage bored through the debris of the tunnel's collapsed portion. There is no technical problem with the auger machine, but the rescue workers needed to strengthen the platform on which it is mounted, the officials said.

The machine had drilled up to 48 metres in the rubble to create the escape passage. The steel pipe — the pathway to evacuation — has been inserted up to 46.8 metres, reporters were told at the briefing addressed by NHIDCL Managing Director Mahmood Ahmed and state's nodal Neeraj Khairwal. They said two more six-metre sections of the pipe are to be inserted before they reach the trapped workers.