The lawsuit will argue Trump’s executive order, which TikTok believes is unconstitutional as the company was not given time to respond.
TikTok is planning to sue the US government over the executive order signed by President Donald Trump ordering a ban on its app. The ByteDance-owned Chinese app company may file a lawsuit as soon as Tuesday this week.
The lawsuit will argue Trump’s executive order, which TikTok believes is unconstitutional as the company was not given time to respond. TikTok will also sue the Trump government over allegations that accuse the app of providing US citizens data to the Chinese government, reported NPR.
A person involved in the matter told NPR that Trump’s national security justification for the order is baseless. "It's based on pure speculation and conjecture. The order has no findings of fact, just reiterates rhetoric about China that has been kicking around,” the source said.
The White House declined to comment on the expected litigation but defended the president's executive order. "The Administration is committed to protecting the American people from all cyber-related threats to critical infrastructure, public health and safety, and our economic and national security," according to White House spokesman Judd Deere.
Trump, earlier this month, signed an executive order banning TikTok, citing threat to national security, foreign policy, and economy of the US.
The US government accused TikTok of capturing vast swaths of personal and proprietary information from its users and gives its access to the Chinese Communist Party, allowing it to track the locations of federal employees and contractors, build dossiers of personal information for blackmail, and conduct corporate espionage.
The Chinese app is set to be banned from doing any business in the US beginning 45 days after the date of the executive order. Microsoft has confirmed that the company is eyeing a deal to acquire TikTok’s US business, which would also require the data to be stored within the country.