URN in Aadhar is a 14 digit Update Request Number given to the user when they update the details in Aadhar Card through an Enrolment center to easily track the status of their Aadhar Card.
What is Update Request Number (URN) in Aadhar Card?
Aadhaar is a very important initiative of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). It allots Indian residents a 12-digit unique identification number based on demographic, geographic and biometric information. It serves as an identity proof and contains your name, address, pin code, photograph and your date of birth. A URN or Update Request Number is very important, and let’s see what it is.
If you have wondered what is URN in Aadhaar, it is the update request number which is generated when you request for correction or updating of any information due to a mistake in a name, address or gender. You can request for a correction using the Aadhaar self-service update portal, and you will receive a URN number to track the changes.
URN – How can you check the URN status?
You can check the URN status online as well as offline, as per your convenience. However, you need to remember that once you get the URN, it's necessary that you keep it safe, as you won't know the outcome of your request in case you lose the number.
How to check the URN status online
If you want to check your Aadhaar URN number, you can do so with the help of online self-service update portal. The steps are mentioned below.
- First and foremost, you need to log on to the self-service update portal to check the Aadhaar Card URN No online.
- Click on Check Status tab.
- In the field, provide your Aadhaar number and the URN number.
- Ensure that you have entered correct details because you will be unable to check the status online if the number is incorrect.
- Enter the Security code now and complete the process of verification.
- Click on the “Get Status” tab now and you will be able to see the status online.
On the results page, you will see the status of your Aadhaar URN. If the request has been successful, it means that the necessary changes have been made in your Aadhaar card and you can now download a copy of e-Aadhaar. You will also receive your new Aadhaar card by post. Alternatively, if the request is still under process, the changes are not yet approved, and you will have to check again after a couple of days. Lastly, if the request is rejected, the changes have not been approved and not been made. You will have to apply for the same again.
How to check the status offline
- In order to check the update status offline, you will have to visit any Aadhaar enrolment centre. It is not necessary to visit the same centre where you applied for the update. When you visit the centre, carry your acknowledgement slip and have your URN handy. Ask the person in charge to help you check the status and he or she will enter the data in the system and inform you about the same.
- Alternatively, you can call the Aadhaar hotline number on 1947 and find out the status of the update. You will have to provide your URN and any other details which the operator might ask for. You can also write to PO Box 1947, GPO Bangalore 560001 to know more about your Aadhaar update status.
- There is a fax number on which you can check the update request status. Simply send a fax on 080-2353-1947 and you will receive a response.
- Lastly, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to check your Aadhaar update request status.
How to get Aadhaar URN Number
In order to get your Aadhaar URN number, you need to visit the Aadhaar self-service update portal and follow the steps mentioned below.
- You will have to enter your Aadhaar number and a four-digit text verification code.
- After this, click on send OTP button so as to receive a one-time password on the registered mobile number.
- You will be asked to verify the mobile number by entering the OTP.
- Now click on the login button.
- Select the options that you wish to update like name, address, age and click on submit.
- Next, you need to upload the correct document for the purpose of verification.
- After you upload the proof, you will receive an Aadhaar URN No.
- Write down this number to keep track of your update status.
Some common questions about Aadhaar card answered below.
How can I track my Aadhaar card status after enrolment?
In order to track the Aadhaar card status, you need to call 1947 or check the status online using the enrollment number.
I have lost my Aadhaar Card enrolment slip. What should I do now?
It is not necessary to enrol again if you have lost your enrollment slip. You can retrieve the Aadhaar enrolment number through the official website of UIDAI.
How long will it take for me to receive my Aadhaar card?
You will receive your Aadhaar card within a period of 90 days from the date of enrolment. It will be sent to your address.
Is it possible to check my Aadhaar card status through post?
You can send details like the enrolment number, date and time of enrolment to UIDAI through post and you will receive a response by post on your registered address. You can send the letter on the below mentioned address:
Post Box No. 99, Banjara Hills,
How can I check the status of Aadhaar card without a mobile number?
It is possible to check the status of Aadhaar Card without using your mobile number by simply visiting the enrolment centre.
How can I track the status of my Aadhaar card after enrolment?
It is possible to track the status of your Aadhaar card online through the official website of UIDAI or you could call the toll-free number 1947 for the same.
The URN provided to me is incorrect according to the website. Is there any other way to check it?
You can visit the enrolment centre and check the status of your URN. You can also call the toll-free number 1947 and speak to a representative about the same.
Is it possible to check the lock/ unlock status of my Aadhaar biometrics?
Yes, it is possible to check the lock/ unlock status of your Aadhaar biometrics. You need to visit the UIDAI website and log in to the account through your Aadhaar and OTP so as to check the status of your biometrics. You can also check the status by using mAadhaar app and logging into your account through the same.
Can Aadhaar Card be used as a document proof for a personal loan application or for a credit card after updating details on the Aadhaar card?
You need to check the status of your Aadhaar card, and if the details are updated in it, you need to download the new e-Aadhaar and use it as a document proof for a personal loan application or for a credit card.
You can now invest in mutual funds with moneycontrol. Download moneycontrol transact app. A dedicated app to explore, research and buy mutual funds.
Get Lok Sabha 2019 Live Election Results, constituency-wise tally, news, views and analysis
Follow our Lok Sabha Election Result Live Blog here.