Here's how you can link Aadhar with Bank account via a mobile application, an SMS, etc. Also, know the importance of linking Bank account with Aadhar card.
Earlier, the government had made it mandatory for people to link Aadhaar with bank accounts. However, the Supreme Court has ruled that it’s not mandatory to do so. The process of linking Aadhaar card with your bank account can be done online as well as offline, as per your convenience. You can do your Aadhaar card link to bank account through a mobile application or through Internet banking. However, you need to be registered with the bank for this particular service.
Procedure for linking bank account and Aadhaar card
If you want to know how to link Aadhaar with bank account through Internet banking, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Log in to the official website of the bank in which you hold an account in order to link Aadhaar to bank account online.
- Enter your User ID and password for Internet banking.
- Go under My Account section and click on the subsection -- Update Aadhaar with bank account.
- You will now have to provide the password for the registration of Aadhaar.
- A new page will open where you will have to enter the Aadhaar number twice.
- Now click on Submit.
- You will see a message on screen which shows the successful Aadhaar seeding.
Procedure for linking bank account and Aadhaar through mobile application
It has become easy and convenient for customers to access the linking feature of Aadhaar through their mobile application. Follow the steps mentioned below to do it.
- Login to your mobile app of the bank you have an account in.
- Go under the My Accounts section and under the Services tab, click on Update Aadhaar card details.
- Now enter the Aadhaar number twice and then click on the submit button.
- You will receive a message about the successful linking of the bank account with the Aadhaar card.
Procedure for linking bank account with Aadhaar at the bank branch
You can get your account linked with Aadhaar at the branch of the bank. Here is how it can be done.
- Fill the bank account Aadhaar linking application form and visit the nearest bank branch.
- You will be able to download the Aadhaar card link to bank account form from the official website of the bank.
- In the form, mention the bank account details and your Aadhaar number properly.
- Now attach a self-attested copy of Aadhaar card with your form.
- You now need to submit the form and a copy of Aadhaar at a counter where you might also need to furnish the original Aadhaar card for the purpose of verification.
- The application will be accepted and it will take a couple of days for Aadhaar link to bank account.
- On successful linking, you will be notified on your registered mobile number.
Procedure for linking bank account with Aadhaar through phone
A lot of banks provide a facility where you can link your Aadhaar card with the bank account through a phone. However, this number varies for banks. Hence, you will have to find out your bank’s number and then carry out the process. Here are the steps involved.
- Give a missed call to the number provided by your bank.
- You will receive a call from the bank where you can select options from the IVR.
- Now enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and then confirm it.
- You will receive a text message when your Aadhaar is successfully linked with your account.
Procedure for linking bank account with Aadhaar at an ATM
It is possible to link Aadhaar to bank account through the ATM of a bank. Follow the simple steps to link the same with ease and convenience.
- Swipe your ATM card and enter the PIN.
- Under the Services menu, you need to select the Registrations option.
- Click on Aadhaar registration option and select the account type.
- Here you need to enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number.
- Re-enter the number and then click on Okay.
- You will receive a confirmation message about the successful linking of your Aadhaar with your bank account.
How to link Aadhaar with PAN by sending an SMS
You can easily link your Aadhaar with PAN through an SMS. All you need to do is send an SMS to either 56161 or 567678. Send SMS to one of the numbers from your registered mobile number in the format mentioned below:
UIDPAN<SPACE><12 digit Aadhaar><Space><10 digit PAN>
Importance of linking bank account with Aadhaar
There are a number of benefits of bank account link with Aadhaar; these are discussed below.
- Get direct benefits transfer: You can receive government subsidies directly in your bank account linked to your Aadhaar card. For example, you will receive your LPG cylinder subsidy amount in your account after the LPG consumer number has been linked.
- Get subsidy for PDS products: There are various commodities available at a subsidised rate through the public distribution system (PDS). These include sugar, kerosene, pulses, rice and many more. Subsidies on these products will be transferred to the bank account linked with the Aadhaar number.
- Tribal welfare schemes: Any payment made from this scheme will be credited to your linked account.
- Country-wide acceptability: Your linked accounts can be accessed from any place in the country and your Aadhaar will be acceptable everywhere.
Here are some common questions on the Aadhaar card.
Is it compulsory to link Aadhaar with your bank account?
Earlier it was, but the Supreme Court has ruled that it is not mandatory to link the bank account with Aadhaar. You can, however, provide it as an identity proof.
Is it necessary to link credit card or personal loan account with Aadhaar?
It is not mandatory to provide your Aadhaar when taking a personal loan or when you apply for a credit card.
I have multiple bank accounts, where will I receive the benefit of money transfer?
You will have to give a copy of your Aadhaar letter with the bank account number written on it or give a copy of the bank passbook. The bank could ask you to fill a form as well. You should update your mobile number so that you can receive an SMS every time you get a direct benefit transfer (DBT) in your account or when you transact on your account. You need to keep in mind that the bank account which has been linked with the Aadhaar card will be the one where you receive money through DBT.
Do I need an Aadhaar to get the DBT?
Most government schemes seek your Aadhaar number to verify your identity and weed out the duplicates from databases. If you want to avail of the benefits of various government schemes, you need to have an Aadhaar number. If you do not have the Aadhaar card yet, you can present the enrolment ID or submit a request with the service delivery database to enrol for Aadhaar with the stated ID documents. It will help ensure you get the benefits or the services without any sort of restrictions.
How can I change my account in order to receive DBT funds?
You will have to give a copy of Aadhaar card with the bank account number written on it to the bank where you wish to receive the funds. Update the mobile number and fill out the form if necessary. Check the bank account number twice before you submit it to the bank.
You can now invest in mutual funds with moneycontrol. Download moneycontrol transact app. A dedicated app to explore, research and buy mutual funds.