Limited Period Offer:Be a PRO for 1 month @Rs49/-Multiple payment options available. Know More
you are here: HomeNewsIndia

COVID-19 second wave | Complete lockdown should be imposed in Mumbai: Mayor Kishori Pednekar

Mumbai Mayor Kishori Pednekar also requested people returning from the Kumbh Mela to quarantine themselves upon arrival.

April 18, 2021 / 09:14 AM IST
File image: AFP

File image: AFP

Amid continued surge in COVID-19 cases in Maharashtra, Mumbai’s Mayor Kishori Pednekar on April 17 said that a complete lockdown should be imposed in the financial hub.

Pednekar said while most citizens were adhering to COVID-19 safety norms, a few were causing problems for the rest.

“95 percent of Mumbaikars are adhering to COVID-19 restrictions. The remaining 5 percent of the people who are not following restrictions are causing problems to others. I think a complete lockdown should be imposed looking at the current situation,” news agency ANI quoted Pednekar as saying.

Follow our LIVE blog for the latest updates of the coronavirus pandemic

Pednekar also requested those returning from the Kumbh Mela in Haridwar, Uttarakhand to quarantine themselves when they go back to their respective states to avoid spreading the novel coronavirus in case they had been infected.

Close

COVID-19 Vaccine

Frequently Asked Questions

View more
How does a vaccine work?

A vaccine works by mimicking a natural infection. A vaccine not only induces immune response to protect people from any future COVID-19 infection, but also helps quickly build herd immunity to put an end to the pandemic. Herd immunity occurs when a sufficient percentage of a population becomes immune to a disease, making the spread of disease from person to person unlikely. The good news is that SARS-CoV-2 virus has been fairly stable, which increases the viability of a vaccine.

How many types of vaccines are there?

There are broadly four types of vaccine — one, a vaccine based on the whole virus (this could be either inactivated, or an attenuated [weakened] virus vaccine); two, a non-replicating viral vector vaccine that uses a benign virus as vector that carries the antigen of SARS-CoV; three, nucleic-acid vaccines that have genetic material like DNA and RNA of antigens like spike protein given to a person, helping human cells decode genetic material and produce the vaccine; and four, protein subunit vaccine wherein the recombinant proteins of SARS-COV-2 along with an adjuvant (booster) is given as a vaccine.

What does it take to develop a vaccine of this kind?

Vaccine development is a long, complex process. Unlike drugs that are given to people with a diseased, vaccines are given to healthy people and also vulnerable sections such as children, pregnant women and the elderly. So rigorous tests are compulsory. History says that the fastest time it took to develop a vaccine is five years, but it usually takes double or sometimes triple that time.

View more
Show

She said that the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) was also contemplating on putting such returnees in quarantine. “Those returning from the Kumbh Mela to their respective states will distribute Corona as ‘prasad’. All these people should be quarantined in their respective states at their own cost. In Mumbai also, we are thinking of putting them under quarantine on their return,” Pednekar was quoted as saying.

Areas under the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) reported more than 8,800 new COVID-19 cases on April 17. Other areas in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) such as Thane, Navi Mumbai and Kalyan-Dombivli also recorded thousands of cases during the 24-hour period.

With more than 37.70 lakh COVID-19 cases reported so far, Maharashtra remains the worst-affected state in the country. This number includes nearly 60,000 deaths. While 30.61 lakh patients in Maharashtra have recovered, the ‘active’ cases in the state stand at 6.47 lakh.

India is witnessing a second wave of coronavirus infections. The country reported over 2.34 lakh new daily cases on April 17 – the highest single-day rise since the start of the pandemic. India’s overall tally stood at 1.45 crore on April 17.

Most states, including Maharashtra, have imposed additional measures to tackle the spread of the virus. However, the Centre has not hinted at a nationwide lockdown so far. States have also stopped short of a complete lockdown.

Click here for Moneycontrol’s full coverage of the coronavirus pandemic
Moneycontrol News
first published: Apr 18, 2021 09:14 am

stay updated

Get Daily News on your Browser
Sections