Moneycontrol PRO
Upcoming Webinar:Watch a panel of experts discuss: Challenges of continuously evolving regulation for Cryptocurrency, on 7th July at 3pm. Register Now
you are here: HomeNewsBusiness

Wipro to buy Chennai-based Encore Theme Technologies for up to Rs 95 crore

This makes the company Wipro’s fourth acquisition since Thierry Delaporte took over as the new chief executive in July.

October 29, 2020 / 11:01 AM IST
  • bselive
  • nselive
Todays L/H

Wipro will acquire Chennai-based firm Encore Theme Technologies Private Ltd, a software-as-a-service (SaaS) and cloud solutions provider in financial services, for a value of up to Rs 95 crore.

The acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions and is likely to be finalised in the quarter ending December 31, 2020, the company said in a statement.

Wipro will buy a 73 percent equity stake upfront and the remaining 27 percent stake is subject to the receipt of certain regulatory approvals and confirmations, the statement added.

This makes the company Wipro’s fourth acquisition since Thierry Delaporte took over as the new chief executive officer (CEO) in July.

That same month, Wipro made two acquisitions, Salesforce-partner 4C based in Belgium for $79 million and Brazilian information technology firm IVIA Servios de Informatica Ltda for $22.4 million. In October, the company acquired engineering services firm Eximius Design for $80 million.


COVID-19 Vaccine

Frequently Asked Questions

View more
How does a vaccine work?

A vaccine works by mimicking a natural infection. A vaccine not only induces immune response to protect people from any future COVID-19 infection, but also helps quickly build herd immunity to put an end to the pandemic. Herd immunity occurs when a sufficient percentage of a population becomes immune to a disease, making the spread of disease from person to person unlikely. The good news is that SARS-CoV-2 virus has been fairly stable, which increases the viability of a vaccine.

How many types of vaccines are there?

There are broadly four types of vaccine — one, a vaccine based on the whole virus (this could be either inactivated, or an attenuated [weakened] virus vaccine); two, a non-replicating viral vector vaccine that uses a benign virus as vector that carries the antigen of SARS-CoV; three, nucleic-acid vaccines that have genetic material like DNA and RNA of antigens like spike protein given to a person, helping human cells decode genetic material and produce the vaccine; and four, protein subunit vaccine wherein the recombinant proteins of SARS-COV-2 along with an adjuvant (booster) is given as a vaccine.

What does it take to develop a vaccine of this kind?

Vaccine development is a long, complex process. Unlike drugs that are given to people with a diseased, vaccines are given to healthy people and also vulnerable sections such as children, pregnant women and the elderly. So rigorous tests are compulsory. History says that the fastest time it took to develop a vaccine is five years, but it usually takes double or sometimes triple that time.

View more

The recent acquisition of Encore Theme will make Wipro a dominant player in implementing Finastra solutions, which the Chennai-based firm specializes in, the company said in a statement. Finastra is a fintech firm based in London and offers diverse solutions to financial institutions.

"Financial institutions are all looking to modernize their trade platforms and focus on the end-to-end digitalization of commercial routines. Trade Finance is a strong revenue generation stream with a high cost base structure, where technology will play a big part in driving future growth. Wipro, a global strategic partner of Finastra, and Encore Theme will together enable this modernization for financial institutions," the statement said.
Moneycontrol News
first published: Oct 28, 2020 09:06 pm
ISO 27001 - BSI Assurance Mark