Moneycontrol
Get App
Last Updated : Jul 18, 2019 04:01 PM IST | Source: Moneycontrol.com

Buy Federal Bank; target of Rs 117: HDFC Securities

HDFC Securities is bullish on Federal Bank has recommended buy rating on the stock with a target price of Rs 117 in its research report dated July 17, 2019.

Broker Research @moneycontrolcom
 
 
live
  • bselive
  • nselive
Volume
Todays L/H
More

HDFC Securities' research report on Federal Bank


In a seasonally weak qtr, slippages at 1.56% ann. and corp slippages of merely ~Rs 880mn (74bps incl. IL&FS of Rs 320mn) are creditable. Expectedly, retail (Rs 1.4bn, 1.75% ann.) and SME (Rs 1.2bn, 1.46% ann.) slippages were higher QoQ, esp. in Kerala. We have factored in higher slippages of 1.75% over FY20-21E as part of FB’s exposure to IL&FS (~Rs 1.9bn) and DHFL and Reliance HF (~Rs 2.75bn) remain standard. At ~19/2% YoY/QoQ, loan growth lost a bit of steam (seasonal), with sluggish growth in the corporate (+18/1%) and SME (+12/-1%) books dragging overall growth. Retail growth was much better at ~26/3%. Home loans constituted half the retail book and were a major growth driver (+31/4%). We have modeled loan book growth of 19% over FY20-21E. Operating efficiency has long been a challenge for FB in spite of no material branch addition for several qtrs. The dip in the C-I ratio (~240/60bps) to 49.4% can be attributed to higher treasury gains (+86/23%). The stable core C-I ratio (ex-treasury) of 52.4% over the trailing three quarters points to upcoming oplev. We have slightly tweaked our cost assumptions, implying a C-I ratio of 47% over FY20-22E.


Outlook


We upgrade Federal Bank to BUY (TP Rs 117, 1.5x June-21 ABV of Rs 77) after a better than expected show across parameters, in a seasonally weak quarter. Further consistency can lead on to significantly better outcomes.


For all recommendations report, click here


Disclaimer: The views and investment tips expressed by investment experts/broking houses/rating agencies on moneycontrol.com are their own, and not that of the website or its management. Moneycontrol.com advises users to check with certified experts before taking any investment decisions.



Get access to India's fastest growing financial subscriptions service Moneycontrol Pro for as little as Rs 599 for first year. Use the code "GETPRO". Moneycontrol Pro offers you all the information you need for wealth creation including actionable investment ideas, independent research and insights & analysis For more information, check out the Moneycontrol website or mobile app.
First Published on Jul 18, 2019 04:01 pm
Sections
Follow us on
Available On