Moneycontrol PRO
HomeNewsBusinessCompaniesNestle pays Ambuja Cements Rs 20 cr to damage Maggi packets

Nestle pays Ambuja Cements Rs 20 cr to damage Maggi packets

Ambuja Cements, formerly known as Gujarat Ambuja Cements, is believed to have been paid the amount for burning the recalled packets of Maggi noodles at its cement plant in Chandrapur in Maharashtra.

July 07, 2015 / 11:55 IST
     
     
    26 Aug, 2025 12:21
    Volume
    Todays L/H
    More

    Nestle India has paid Rs 20 crore to Ambuja Cements for destroying Maggi instant noodles, which were found to be harmful for human consumption by the food regulators in the country.

    Ambuja Cements, formerly known as Gujarat Ambuja Cements, is believed to have been paid the amount for burning the recalled packets of Maggi noodles at its cement plant in Chandrapur in Maharashtra.

    When contacted, a Nestle India spokesperson told PTI: "Gujarat Ambuja Cements is... helping us to destroy the Maggi noodles being withdrawn by us from the market."

    While the spokesperson did not confirm the cost involved in burning Maggi at Ambuja Cements plant, he said:

    "In addition to the value of stocks being destroyed there will be additional costs to take into account, for example bringing back stock from the market, transporting the stock to the destruction points and destruction cost etc."

    Nestle India said that these costs and other unforeseen costs associated with the withdrawal will be dealt with in line with the applicable accounting standards at the time of announcing the financial results on the due dates.

    Last month, Nestle India said it is in the process of destroying Maggi instant noodles worth Rs 320 crore after it was banned by the central food safety regulator FSSAI due to presence of lead and taste enhancer monosodium glutamate (MSG) beyond permissible limits.

    On June 5, FSSAI banned Maggi directing Nestle to immediately withdraw and recall all nine variants of Maggi instant noodles from market.

    Nestle India has also recalled the product from the market. Nestle India has challenged the ban order in the Bombay High Court.

    first published: Jul 7, 2015 11:42 am

    Discover the latest Business News, Sensex, and Nifty updates. Obtain Personal Finance insights, tax queries, and expert opinions on Moneycontrol or download the Moneycontrol App to stay updated!

    Subscribe to Tech Newsletters

    • On Saturdays

      Find the best of Al News in one place, specially curated for you every weekend.

    • Daily-Weekdays

      Stay on top of the latest tech trends and biggest startup news.

    Advisory Alert: It has come to our attention that certain individuals are representing themselves as affiliates of Moneycontrol and soliciting funds on the false promise of assured returns on their investments. We wish to reiterate that Moneycontrol does not solicit funds from investors and neither does it promise any assured returns. In case you are approached by anyone making such claims, please write to us at grievanceofficer@nw18.com or call on 02268882347