The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet on June 24 appointed Parameswaran Iyer as the new CEO of NITI Aayog for two years. Iyer will succeed Amitabh Kant who will complete his tenure on June 30 this year.
Here is all you need to know about Parameswaran Iyer:
- Parameswaran Iyer is an IAS from the Uttar Pradesh cadre and a member of the 1981 batch.
- Iyer worked as a water and sanitation specialist for the World Bank after voluntarily leaving the IAS in 2009.
- In 2016, Prime Minister Narendra Modi chose Iyer to lead his flagship Swachch Bharat Mission, the country-wide sanitation campaign to eliminate open defecation and improve solid waste management.
- In August 2020, he resigned from the position and returned to the United States to join the World Bank again.
- Born in Srinagar, Iyer went to the Doon School in Dehradun, and later attended St. Stephen's College in Delhi. He also has a master’s in business administration from the Management Development Institute, Gurgaon.
- During his career, Iyer headed the innovative community-led Swajal Project in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand in the 1990s,
- In all, he has over twenty-five years of global experience in the water and sanitation sector and has worked in many countries, including Vietnam, China, Egypt and Lebanon.
- A fitness enthusiast, Iyer also served as road manager to his daughter and son on the pro tennis circuit during a two-year sabbatical from his professional career.- Iyer has penned a couple of books, including one on the Swaccha Bharat mission as another one on his professional experiences.