Moneycontrol PRO
HomeEntertainmentNagarjuna Akkineni appears in Nampally Court to record statement in defamation case against minister Konda Surekha

Nagarjuna Akkineni appears in Nampally Court to record statement in defamation case against minister Konda Surekha

On Tuesday, October 9, actor Nagarjuna Akkineni appeared before the Nampally court in connection with a defamation case against Telangana's Forest and Environment Minister Konda Surekha. Nagarjuna was accompanied by his family members, including his wife Amala Akkineni, son Naga Chaitanya, and daughter-in-law Supriya Yarlagadda.

October 09, 2024 / 17:15 IST

On Tuesday, October 9, actor Nagarjuna Akkineni appeared before the Nampally court in connection with a defamation case against Telangana's Forest and Environment Minister Konda Surekha. Nagarjuna was accompanied by his family members, including his wife Amala Akkineni, son Naga Chaitanya, and daughter-in-law Supriya Yarlagadda.

In his petition, Nagarjuna told the court that Minister Surekha's remarks had damaged his family's reputation. "The Minister's comments were nothing but degrading the dignity of the family," he stated, according to The Hindu.

Nagarjuna accused the Minister of making "derogatory remarks" about his son Naga Chaitanya's divorce from Samantha Ruth Prabhu. He claimed that the remarks made by the Minister before the media were "false," "offensive," and "politically motivated," causing immense mental anguish to his family.

Also Read: Sanjay Leela Bhansali clarifies Alia Bhatt, Ranbir Kapoor, Vicky Kaushal's Love and War is not a remake of Sangam

Last week, Nagarjuna filed a complaint against Konda Surekha under Section 356 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) following her wild speculations about Naga Chaitanya and Samantha. Surekha alleged the involvement of Nagarjuna and KTR, the working president of Bharat Rashtra Samithi, behind the divorce. KTR had also issued a separate legal notice to Surekha, demanding that she withdraw her defamatory comments or face legal proceedings.

Nagarjuna told the court that public representatives should be held accountable for their verbal attacks and sought criminal action against Surekha. According to reports, the statement of Nagarjuna's niece Yarlagadda Supriya was also recorded as the first witness. A video of the Minister's comments was submitted to the court by Nagarjuna's legal counsel.

Nagarjuna, a renowned actor and son of legendary actor Akkineni Nageswara Rao, highlighted his family's contributions to Indian cinema and philanthropic activities. He emphasized that his family has worked hard to build a good reputation and should not be subjected to baseless accusations.

After recording Nagarjuna's statement, the court hearing was adjourned to a later date. The Telugu film industry has collectively condemned Surekha's derogatory remarks, stating that they will not tolerate personal attacks on individuals from the fraternity for political gain.

Entertainment desk -
first published: Oct 9, 2024 05:15 pm

Discover the latest Business News, Sensex, and Nifty updates. Obtain Personal Finance insights, tax queries, and expert opinions on Moneycontrol or download the Moneycontrol App to stay updated!

Subscribe to Tech Newsletters

  • On Saturdays

    Find the best of Al News in one place, specially curated for you every weekend.

  • Daily-Weekdays

    Stay on top of the latest tech trends and biggest startup news.

Advisory Alert: It has come to our attention that certain individuals are representing themselves as affiliates of Moneycontrol and soliciting funds on the false promise of assured returns on their investments. We wish to reiterate that Moneycontrol does not solicit funds from investors and neither does it promise any assured returns. In case you are approached by anyone making such claims, please write to us at grievanceofficer@nw18.com or call on 02268882347