1985 - Amara Raja Batteries Limited was incorporated as a private
limited company on 13th February and converted into a public
limited company on 6th September 1990. A fresh Certificate
incorporation was obtained on 8th November 1990 from the
Registrar of Companies Andhra Pradesh. It was promoted by
Ramachandra N. Galla, Smt. Amarakumari N. Galla & Associates.
The Company manufacture sealed maintenance free lead acid
- The Company undertook to set up a plant for manufacture of
maintenance free lead acid batteries for industrial
with an installed capacity of 1 lakh nos. p.a.
- The Company entered into a technical agreement with GNB Inc.
for providing the technical know-how and other related
1992 - 12,51,650 No. of equity shares allotted. 54,48,350 No. of
shares of Rs 10 each the issue at par of which 19,98,350 No.
equity shares and 1,50,000 shares were reserved and allotted
firm basis to promoters, directors etc. and APIDC
- Of the remaining, the following were reserved for allotment on
- (i) 3,00,000 shares to SBIMF;
- (ii) 3,00,000 shares to LICMF;
- (iii) 60,000 shares to Canback MF &
- (iv) 3,35,000 shares to employees (only 3,24,500 shares taken
- Balance 23,05,000 shares alongwith 10,500 shares not taken by
employees issued to the public. Additional 4,65,027 shares
allotted to retain oversubscription. 27,000 shares
1993 - Approval was received for 5000 Air batteries and sets had
supplied at various installations.
1994 - The Company's ability to supply high efficiency battery for
telecommunication encouraged DOT to switch over from 120 AH
maintenance battery to 80 AH VR LA battery for effective
utilisation of Multi Access Rural Radio system in remote
- The Company received a prestigious turnkey order from ONGC
power supplies on unmanned offshore platform.
1995 - The Company's R&D establishment was recognised by the
of Science & Technology, Government of India.
1996 - The Company undertook technology upgradation through in house
R&D, new ranges, quality, customer satisfaction, need based
capacity enhancement & integration of operation etc.
- The company's emphasis on overall operational quality resulted
the company receiving ISO 9001 Certification from RWTUV,
- Forfeiture on 2,000 shares annulled. During January 1998,
23,75,000 shares & 3,03,400 shares allotted at a prem. of Rs
per shares to Johnson Control Maritius Pvt. Ltd. and Galla
Co. core promoters of the Company.
1997 - The Company's emphasis on overall operational quality has
resulted in the Company receiving ISO 9001 certification from
RWTUV, Germany and products obtaining UL recognition for
of operations from Underwriters Laboratory, USA.
- Johnson Controls Inc (JCI), the US-based battery major, is
to acquire a stake of 23.38 per cent in Amar Raja Batteries
- The company proposes to decide the issue price in line with
relevant guidelines shortly.
1998 - Amara Raja Batteries (ARB) Ltd, a leading industrial battery
manufacturer in the country, is making forays into the
battery segment, and expanding its existing production
to enter the export market.
- The company is setting up an additional production facility
an installed capacity lighting, and ignition' (SLI).
- Amara Raja to set up its own project for the manufacture of
plastic coves by importing three injunction moulding
1999 - Amara Raja Batteries is setting up a greenfield facility to
manufacture automotive batteries.
- The company introduced state-of-the-art VRLA (value regulated
lead acid) technology in industrial batteries and soon
as market leader in this segment.
- The company has launched switch-mode rectifiers with a
tie-up from Rectified Technology, Australia.
2000 - Amara Raja Batteries, launched a new automobile battery with
higher life and low maintenance.
- The company will set up a new SLI battery unit with a
for manufacturing one million units of batteries per
- The Company has launch of Amron a zero-maintenance,
automotive batteries in Hyderabad and Chennai.
- The Company has launched Amaron Pit Stops, a distribution
network through franchises.
- Amara Raja Batteries has fixed a premium of Rs 90 for
of Rs 10 each to be issued to the domestic and foreign
- Amara Raja Batteries Ltd on September 24, 2001 announced
inauguration of its new automotive plant at Karakambadi
- Amara Raja Batteries has reported a net profit of Rs 9.3
crore for the first half of the current
Name of Acquirer Shareholding before acquisition Shareholding after
1. Johnson Controls Maurititius P.Ltd 23.12% 26%
2. Mr.Ramachandra N.Galla 6.4% 7.49%
3. Mr. Jayadev Galla 6.62% 7.5%
4. Dr. Ramadevi 3.87% 4.72%
-Allotted shares on preferential basis
-Amara Raja Batteries which is in partnership with battery major
Johnson Controls is now planning to develop batteries for motorcycles
-Amara Raja Batteries (ARBL) has roped in Telco as one of its
customers for supplying the automotive batteries, Amaron, to its LCV
segment during the period ended June 2001.
-SEBI has launched criminal prosecution against Mr Harinarayan Bajaj
and his son Rahul for creating artificial market in the shares of
Amara Raja Batteries Ltd.
-The new automotive plant of Amara Raja Batteries Ltd (ARBL), an
Amara Raja-Johnson Controls joint venture for the manufacture of
storage batteries and standby valve regulated lead acid (VRLA)
batteries, has commenced commercial operations on September 24
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister, Mr Chandrababu Naidu on September
24, inaugurated the Rs 45 crore, 50,000 unit per annum, greenfield
plant of the Amara Raja Batteries at Thirupathi
-Launched 'Brute' Batteries, a maintenance free valve regulated acid
traction battery in India to meet the power requirements of forklifts,
pallet trucks, stackers and platform trucks.
-Forged alliances with a number of global telecom players for the
supply of high-end batteries for telecom equipment.
-Mr K Satish Reddy and Mr Douglas C Brown have resigned from the
Mr Raymond J Brown has been appointed as Director of the company with
effect from October 25, 2002.
-Bagged an order from a leading automotive player in Japan for the
delivery of automotive batteries for passenger cars in Japan.
-Mr Ramachandra N Galla appointed as the Executive Chairman and Mr
Jayadev Galla appointed as the Managing Director of the company w.e.f
August 1, 2003.
-ARBL unveils 3rd 'Amaron PitStop' in Kerala
-Launches zero maintenance battery
-ARBL ties up with MUL for battery supply
-Amara Raja ropes in Karthikeyan as brand ambassador
-Amara Raja sets up Amaron PitStop in Kottayam
-Amara Raja unveils limited edition series of car batteries
-Amara Raja Batteries Ltd has appointed Dr. G Ramadevi as Director in
the casual vacancy caused by the resignation of Mrs. Amara Kumari
-Amara Raja Batteries Ltd has appointed Mr. Shu Q Yang as a director
in the casual vacancy caused by the resignation of Mr. Steven Gibbs.
- The Company has splits its face value from Rs10/- to Rs2/-.
-The Company has issued Bonus Shares in the Ratio of 1:2.
- Amara Raja Batteries Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors
of the Company at its meeting held on June 01, 2009, inter alia, has
considered and approved appointment of Mr. T R Narayanaswamy as an
independent director with immediate effect.
- Amara Raja Batteries Ltd forayed into an agreement with Japan's
Honda Motor. This is in order to develop a valve regulated lead acid
-Amara Raja Group dons new identity to mark its Silver Jubilee
-Amara Raja clocks Rs. 10 billion in revenue for H1 for the first
-AmarrajaBatt - Capacity expansion in a new location.
-Appointment of Mr. Ravi Bhamidipati as an Executive Director.
-Company has splits its Face value of Shares from Rs 2 to Re 1
-Board recommended a Dividend of Rs. 2.52/- (252%) per share.
- The company has appointed Mr. M. R. Rajaram a as Company Secretary
& Compliance Officer of the Company.
-Board recommended a Dividend of Rs. 3.32(323%) per share.
-Amara Raja Batt. - Commissioning of four-wheeler automotive battery
plant at Unit II at Nunegundlapalle village, Bangarupalyam Mandal,
-Amara Raja opens largest 2wheeler battery unit.