Return of income

Who shall apply for PAN?

Section 139A of the Income Tax Act provides that every person whose total income exceeds the maximum amount not chargeable to tax or every person who carries on any business or profession whose total turnover or gross receipts exceed Rs.5 lakhs in any previous year or any person required to file a return of income u/s 139(4A) shall apply for PAN. Besides, any person not fulfilling the above conditions may also apply for allotment of PAN.

With effect from 01.06.2000, the Central Government may by notification specify any class/classes of person including importers and exporters, whether or not any tax is payable by them, and such persons shall also then apply to the Assessing Officer for allotment of PAN. W.e.f. 01.04.2006 a person liable to furnish a return of fringe benefits under the newly introduced section 115WD of the I.T. Act is also required to apply for allotment of PAN. Of course, if such a person already has been allotted a PAN he shall not be required to obtain another PAN.

The Finance Act, 2006 has provided that for the purpose of collecting any information, the Central Govt. may by way of notification specify any class or classes of persons for allotment of PAN and such persons shall apply to the Assessing Officer within the prescribed time. Provision for Suo moto allotment of PAN has also been introduced w.e.f.1.6.2006 as per which the assessing officer may allot a Permanent Account No. to any person whether or not any tax is payable by him having regard to the nature of transactions.

Source: Income Tax Department


Income from House Property


Capital Gains

Income from Other Sources

Wealth Tax



Taxable Income

Return of income


Due dates for filing tax returns



Follow us on
Available On