May 18, 2012, 08.50 AM | Source: IBNLive.com
A case of non-cognizable offence has been filed against Kolkata Knight Riders co-owner Shah Rukh Khan and three others over the Wankhede Stadium brawl.
The NC was registered at Marine Drive police station after a complaint was filed against Shah Rukh and others by Vikas Dalvi, the security guard posted at the Wankhede Stadium, who was allegedly manhandled by the actor, an IPS officer told PTI.
While the police and the MCA have alleged misbehaviour by Khan, the actor countered the allegations by saying his children were manhandled by the officials and the guards at the stadium.
Speaking to reporters earlier on Thursday, Khan said, "I went to pick up my children as they were misbehaving with the children and manhandling them, they were abusive. I got angry as they were abusing."
Khan has also denied the MCA officials' claim that he was drunk. "It is wrong to say that I was under the influence of liquor. I was not drunk," he said.
Shah Rukh admitted that he misbehaved, but said that was only because the security officials first misbehaved and abused him. "Yes, I was abusing them as they were insulting me. I don't want to repeat what he was saying as it will give colour to the issue, it was started by the other man, then only I abused him back," Khan said.
"The officials were extremely aggressive. I just got angry but I left after that. I said a few things in anger. I was one and they were 20-25 officials and they were extremely rude. When I tried to answer them, they hid behind others. They should look at their association and how they behave. They cannot, under the garb of security, be high-handed with people, especially children."
However, MCA officials rubbished Shah Rukh's version of the fracas, saying his statement had no basis. "If that was the case, then why was the complaint lodged [against him]? If he was not drunk, then what was he inebriated with?" MCA treasurer Ravi Savant asked. "It's not worth reacting [to]. We had BCCI officials with us. We had police officers with us. We had MCA officials with us. I don't think I need to react to Shah Rukh's statement."
Shah Rukh Khan is likely to be banned by the MCA from entering the Wankhede Stadium for life following the alleged altercation he had with the security and the officials of the association. The decision on banning Shah Rukh from the Wankhede stadium will be taken next week, Union Minister and president of Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) Vilasrao Deshmukh said.
"The way he behaved and the way he abused us, I will definitely propose that he be banned for life," said Savant. "Discipline on a cricket ground is of primary importance and if he does not understand that, he does not understand the game and it's better he does not come here."
Earlier, MCA joint secretary Nitin Dalal moved the Marine Drive police against Shah Rukh. "Khan and his three associates were booked under IPC sections 323 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt) and 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace)," the officer added.
Acting on Dalvi's complaint, the police began an inquiry into the alleged incident and also recorded statements of Dalal and Dalvi at the police station and then registered the NC.
According to police, the recording of statements lasted for about two hours and some more persons are likely to be called in for recording their version.
Meanwhile, Assistant Police Commissioner Iqbal Shaikh said police reached the stadium on Wednesday night soon after they were informed about the alleged misbehaviour on the part of Shah Rukh with the MCA officials. Police immediately took away the actor from the spot and defused the tension, he said.
"We were told that Khan had entered the ground with some children after the match was over. When security guards objected, he allegedly manhandled a guard [Dalvi] and used abusive language against officials of MCA, cricket board, security guards and a woman who is yet to be identified," Shaikh said.
"We were also informed that the actor was under the influence of alcohol," the ACP said, adding, "Even I could smell alcohol while taking away Khan in a vehicle to another place outside the stadium."
Shaikh said inquiry into the incident was on and police would record the statement of witnesses. He, however, refused to comment if the actor would be called for questioning. He also parried a question on whether Shah Rukh would be subjected to a medical test to determine if he was under the influence of liquor.
"He had no right to go to the ground after the game and the presentation ceremony. Our guards were right in stopping him," Dalal said. "Our officials have been manhandled by these people. He has abused the MCA and BCCI. The claim by Shah Rukh that MCA's security guards abused him is false and baseless."
With inputs from PTI