China head coach backs Malaysian for BWF top post

BADMINTON-PRESIDENCY:China head coach backs Malaysian for BWF top post
  • Language
  • App
  • Subscriptions
  • Specials
  • Sign-In
  • Register
GeStepAhead GrowMyMoney Tech Control
moneycontrol.com

Jan 15, 2013, 12.01 PM | Source: Reuters

China head coach backs Malaysian for BWF top post

BADMINTON-PRESIDENCY:China head coach backs Malaysian for BWF top post

Like this story, share it with millions of investors on M3

China head coach backs Malaysian for BWF top post

BADMINTON-PRESIDENCY:China head coach backs Malaysian for BWF top post

Post Your Comments

Share Cancel

(Reuters) - Malaysian Nadzmi Mohd Salleh has been encouraged to run for the presidency of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) by the head coach of China.

Current BWF president Kang Young-joong of South Korea said last month he would step down from the role in May after eight years at the helm and Indonesian Justian Suhandinata has already made clear his intentions to run for the post.

China head coach Li Yongbo feels that Nadzmi, the head of the Badminton Association of Malaysia, has what it takes to popularise and spread the sport beyond its main Asian base and pockets of Europe.

"Nadzmi is a good choice. He has the clout and credentials to increase the popularity of the sport to a wider base," Li was quoted as saying by the Malaysian Star newspaper on Tuesday.

"He has been in the badminton circle for many years and is supportive of the game."

Badminton came under fire during the London Olympics last July when four women's doubles pairs from South Korea, China and Indonesia deliberately played to lose their matches in order to get a more favourable draw.

All four pairings were disqualified and banned after the farcical scenes putting in doubt the sports inclusion in future editions of the Games.

Despite the problems, London saw a record 51 countries participating in the sport with the BWF saying all sessions were sold out.

"Our sport has the potential to be popular beyond the Asian and European region and we need to aggressively promote it," Li said.

It is compulsory for players ranked in the top 10 of the BWF rankings to compete in Super Series Premier events but Chinese players have become infamous for retiring midway through matches or pulling out from tournaments due to injuries.

According to Li, the newly elected BWF president will have to take a serious look and prune down the hectic badminton calendar to solve the problem.

"There are just too many tournaments. We need to cut it down. I would suggest that we limit the number of competitions and increase the prize money," he added.

"Better income will surely widen the participation of the players and motivate them even more." (Reporting by Sudipto Ganguly in Mumbai; editing by Patrick Johnston)

Buy, Hold, Sell ? Hear it first on M3
China head coach backs Malaysian for BWF top post

See all

Get started using your favorite social network

or

Login using moneycontrol ID

Username
Password

Need help logging in? Reset password.

Don´t have an account? Sign Up

Get started using your favorite social network

or

Simply sign up using this short form

* mandatory

UserName*

Username should be atleast 4 character

Password*

Password should be 8 or more characters,
atleast 1 number, 1 symbol & 1 upper case letter

Alert

Your Password should contain
  • 8 or more characters
  • At least 1 number
  • At least 1 symbol
  • At least 1 upper case letter
Confirm Password*
Email
Already have an account? Login