Jul 07, 2005, 11.17 AM IST | Source: Moneycontrol.com
Factors to watch before investing in IPOs
If you hope to make money in public equity offers, you have to make some efforts and become an informed investor, says Prithvi Haldea of Prime Database.
Is the promoter a liability or an asset?
What is the status of the issuing company?
- Are there any material defaults/ litigations against the company or its promoters?
- Persons/Companies that have not been compliant with laws of the land reflect a worrisome mindset.
- If you find too many defaults/litigations of a material nature or even one of a very serious nature, a the issue.
– Criminal proceedings against the promoters.
- Check out record of past defaults of companies/ individuals at www.watchoutinvestors.com .
How has been the performance of the company?
- Holding company
- Main company
Are the financials, specially the recent ones, reliable?
- Number of years in the business
- Size of the company
- Growth rate
- Market share and growth
What to look for in the Balance Sheet?
- Many resort to window dressing; high sales often lie in sundry debtors, profits could be because of a very high “other income” or “unusual income”.
- Beware of bloated previous year’s financials; amazing how almost every company performs so exceedingly well in the year and quarter preceding the issue!
- Look at aging of sundry debtors (and earlier write-offs).
- Look for changes in accounting policies (depreciation etc.), in financial year.
- Look if there are any significant Notes to the Accounts.
- Look if there are any significant qualifications by the auditors.
- Fixed assets
- Loan and advances
READ MORE ON Prithvi Haldea
, Prime Database
See 15% revenue growth, will maintain margins: Monte Carlo
Here are top 10 stocks to focus on December 19
FM tables GST Constitutional Amendment Bill in Lok Sabha
How Russian crisis could be like 1998, but worse
ONGC, Gail may be good buying bets; like IT: Choksey
Global sell-off over for now; India best placed EM: UBS
Stocks in news: ONGC, ICICI, Crompton, HZL, Punj Lloyd
Buy Ashok Leyland, says Sudarshan Sukhani
Mid-year eco review: FY15 can sign off with 5.5% growth
Autos, banking, financials to lead eco in 2015: C Jayaram
video of the day
Rupee weakness modest, see yields at 7.60% in Q1: Deutsche