Jul 07, 2005, 11.17 AM IST | Source: Moneycontrol.com
Factors to watch before investing in IPOs
If you hope to make money in public equity offers, you have to make some efforts and become an informed investor, says Prithvi Haldea of Prime Database.
Is the promoter a liability or an asset?
What is the status of the issuing company?
- Are there any material defaults/ litigations against the company or its promoters?
- Persons/Companies that have not been compliant with laws of the land reflect a worrisome mindset.
- If you find too many defaults/litigations of a material nature or even one of a very serious nature, a the issue.
– Criminal proceedings against the promoters.
- Check out record of past defaults of companies/ individuals at www.watchoutinvestors.com .
How has been the performance of the company?
- Holding company
- Main company
Are the financials, specially the recent ones, reliable?
- Number of years in the business
- Size of the company
- Growth rate
- Market share and growth
What to look for in the Balance Sheet?
- Many resort to window dressing; high sales often lie in sundry debtors, profits could be because of a very high “other income” or “unusual income”.
- Beware of bloated previous year’s financials; amazing how almost every company performs so exceedingly well in the year and quarter preceding the issue!
- Look at aging of sundry debtors (and earlier write-offs).
- Look for changes in accounting policies (depreciation etc.), in financial year.
- Look if there are any significant Notes to the Accounts.
- Look if there are any significant qualifications by the auditors.
- Fixed assets
- Loan and advances
READ MORE ON Prithvi Haldea
, Prime Database
Railway Budget 2015: Freight rates up for cement, coal, steel; to mop Rs 1.2lkcr
Rail Budget impact: 15 stocks to profit on Prabhu's plans
Rail Budget 2015 Highlights: No passenger fare hike; better consumer experience assured
Stocks in news: M&M, ONGC, Bharti Infratel, Kesoram, PNB
Rail Budget 2015 Live: Govt ups freight rates for cement, coal, urea, steel & LPG
Sensex falls over 150 pts; Rail to spend Rs 96kcr on capex
Sensex plunges 300 pts post Railway freight rate hike
Rail Budget dampner, Nifty ends at 8684 on F&O expiry
Rail Budget 2015: Titagarh, Texmaco fall 3-6%; all eyes on Prabhu's speech
Budget 2015-16: See Budget reviving capex; no takers for beta stocks: IIFL
video of the day
Passenger svcs breakeven must, says ex-rail board member