As the nation pushes towards a digital world, we bring you 10 ways you can live life in a cashless world and meet your basic needs with ease with a smartphone.
India is facing an economic upheaval since PM Modi announced the demonetisation last week of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 currency notes, which constitutes about 85 percent of cash under circulation. As a result, businesses and consumers have become cash-strapped. Buying either raw material, basic commodities, services or products with cash has become a challenge.
All sectors be it retail, healthcare, auto, real estate, banking have been hit. India is now searching for cashless alternatives to meet their daily needs. As the nation pushes towards a digital world, we bring you 10 ways you can live life in a cashless world and meet your basic needs with ease with a smartphone.
1) UTILITY PAYMENTS & RECHARGES: For one’s immediate bill payments and mobile recharges, there are apps such as JioMoney, Paytm, Freecharge, Mobikwik, Airtel Money, Vodafone and others. Most such apps are running cashback offers for payments to grab users in this golden period when cash is sparse.
2) LOCAL TRANSPORTATION: For travelling you can book an Uber, Ola, Shuttl, Meru or Mega Cabs. All have an app and now accept digital payments. For longer distance travel redBus or MakeMyTrip, Yatra, GoIbibo can come handy.
3) FOOD AND GROCERIES: Your neighbourhood veggie vendor is not accepting those notes of Rs 500 or Rs 1000? Don’t worry just order cashless or pay by card on delivery via apps of Grofers, BigBasket, Satvacart or Zopnow. Or simply logon to wallets and check which stores and vendors around you are accepting wallet cash.
4) HOME SERVICES: Has your tap been leaking or want to get a geyser installed but don't have any cash to pay the service provider? Don't worry you can now pay the plumbers and electricians with apps such as Urbanclap, Housejoy, TaskBob, Zimmber, etc.
5) MEDICINES & HEALTHCARE: No new notes and want to get doctor prescribed medicines or wish to book a lab appointment for a diagnostic test? Websites and mobile applications such as 1mg, Pharmeasy, Netmeds, Medidart etc. will get them delivered at your doorstep. You can now book lab tests and pay for them via net banking or wallet on delivery.
6) EATING OUT & ENTERTAINMENT: Hungry and want some food delivered at your doorstep? Apps such as Swiggy, Faasos, Foodpanda, Frshmenu, Yumist and Innerchef will help you order food from nearest food joints with digital payment options. For booking movie tickets and events, Paytm, TicketGoose and BookMyShow are running offers.
7) SHOPPING: From over six crore products available on sites such as Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal etc. you can get from safety pin to electronic goods delivered right at your doorstep with different payment options rather than cash on delivery.
8) PAYING DOMESTIC HELP: Don’t have cash to pay salaries to your maids or driver. Babajob is there to help. With this application, a domestic help can receive his or her salary through Paytm.
9) HOTELS: Want to rent a hotel room and can’t pay in cash? There are various websites and applications such as Trivago, Oyo, Expedia, Cleartrip, Treebo, Fabhotel, GoStays, Hotels.com etc. that can help you to get a suitable room with various digital payment options including wallets.
10) PAYING SCHOOL FEES & BUYING UNIFORM: A large number of schools now accept online payments or have PoS terminals at their receipt counters. Through online companies such as MyCity4Kids, StationeryHut, SchoolKart, StationeryShop, one can buy school uniforms and even pay tuition fees online.