Every thing you want to know about PAN Card for NRIs
Ramalingam K elaborates on everything that is needed to know about permanent account number (PAN) for non-resident Indians (NRIs).
• PAN Card is required by an NRI, if he/she has got a taxable income in India.
• According to the new, rule of SEBI ,any NRI not having PAN card cannot do the share trading by depository or broker.
• PAN is also mandatory for an NRI, if he/she would like to invest in Mutual Funds
• If you don’t want to trade but want to purchase some land or other property in India then also it is mandatory to have PAN card issued by Government of India
By now if you have made up your mind and want to apply for Pan card then here is the procedure for you:.
To apply for PAN card India, first you need to visit https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/
PAN card application procedure:
(1) First fill up the form 49AA (for which link is given on site) but qualified financial investor should do this through Depositary participant only.
(2) After online filling and submission of the form a confirmation screen will appear. You can see the complete date filled by you over there.If still, want to make any changes in your application then edit it or just submit it.
(3) After submission, as you can see, you will get online acknowledgement receipt take at least one print out of it. (It is always better to take one printout extra).
(4) Now paste two recent passport size photographs in the space provided in acknowledgement. (Its specifications should meet the requirement laid down by IT dept., India).
(5) Whether you are doing Signature or using your left thumb, it is to be done in the specific box only. Failing to this your application may be rejected..
(6) Then please attach necessary document along with your application for e.g.POI, POA, 2 color photographs with white background, Demand draft etc.
(1) If you have any communication address in India then you can provide that also for that you need to pay
(a) Processing fee: 96 INR along with service tax.
(b) You can make payment by any way (debit, credit card, D.D or net banking) except cash deposit.
(c) But if you have given communication address is of Foreign county then you can make payment only by debit /credit card or D.D. Demand draft should be drawn in the favor of NSDL-PAN payable at Mumbai.(Please do not forget to mention your application no. on the reverse of Demand draft).
(d) And amount you have to pay will be 962 INR. Which is comprises of application fee, tax and postage.
(e) At present this service is available only for 99 specific countries ( given on NSDL site)
(1)Your acknowledgement, Demand Draft, if any, and proofs, should reach NSDL within 15 days from the date of online application.
(2)Applications received with demand draft or cheque as mode of payment shall be processed only on receipt of relevant proofs and realization of payment.
Given are some Do’s and Don’ts while filling your online application.
1. Fill the application using blank ink. And do not forget to do so in Block letters..
2. Do the signature in the given box and not over the photograph.
3. Make sure that you are providing correct AO code..
Please follow these rules while submitting Proof of Identity (POI) and Proof of Address (POA).
a) Make sure that the name given on POI and POA should match the name given in application.
b) If applicant is minor then his / her representative should also submit POA and POI.
1. It is not advisable to overwrite or to make corrections in the given application.
2. Do not attach photographs to application by means of pin or staple.
3. While making signature, do not write date or place underneath the sign.
4. Do not mention Husband's name in the Father's Name column.
5. Last but not the least; Please do not apply for the PAN card if you already have one.
The author is Ramalingam K, CFP CM is the Chief Financial Planner at holisticinvestment.in, a leading Financial Planning and Wealth Management company.