TRAI Notification No: 116-1-2010-MN (24-Nov-10) Telecommunication Mobile Number Portability (Second Amendment) Regulations, 2010
No. 116-1/2010-MN - Inexercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) of section 36,read with sub-clauses (i), (iii) and (v) of clause (b) ofsub-section (1) of section 11 of the Telecom Regulatory Authorityof India Act, 1997 (24 of 1997), the Telecom Regulatory Authorityof India hereby makes the following regulations to amend theTelecommunication Mobile Number Portability Regulations, 2009 (8 of2009), namely:-
1. (1) These regulations may becalled the Telecommunication Mobile Number Portability (SecondAmendment) Regulations, 2010,
(2) They shall come into force from thedate of their publication in the official Gazette
(3) In sub-regulation (2) of regulation1 of the Telecommunication Mobile Number Portability Regulations,2009 (8 of 2009), (hereinafter referred to as the principalregulations) for clause (b), the following clause shall besubstituted, namely:-
"(b) Regulations 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12and 13 of these regulations shall come into force in Haryanaservice areas on the 25th November, 2010:
Provided that regulations 6, 7, 8, 9,10, 11, 12 and 13 of these regulations shall come into force indifferent service areas, as may be specified by direction issued bythe Authority, from time to time.
2. In regulation 10 of theprincipal regulations, for the words "twenty four hours", whereverappearing, the words "four working days" shall be substituted;
Principal Advisor(Mobile Network)
Note1:The principal regulationswere published in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, part III,Section 4 vide notification No. 116-4/2009-MN (Vol. II) dated 23rdSept.2009 and amended vide:
(i) Notification no. 116-1/2010 dated28th January,2010 (1 of 2010)
Note2: The ExplanatoryMemorandum explains the objects and reasons of theseregulations.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority ofIndia issued the Telecommunication Mobile Number PortabilityRegulations, 2009 (8 of 2009) dated 23rd September, 2009 layingdown the basic business process framework for implementation ofmobile number portability in the country. Regulations6,7,8,9,10,11,12 and 13 of these regulations were required to beimplemented on 31st December, 2009.
2. The Government extended the time forimplementation of these regulations from 31st December, 2009 to31st March, 2010, for all circles considering the preparedness ofoperators at that time. Accordingly, TRAI issued theTelecommunications Mobile Number Portability (Amendment)Regulations, 2010 (1 of 2010) dated 28th January 2010. However, dueto the non-preparedness of the Telecom Service Providers, DoTfurther extended the timeframe for implementation of MNP from timeto time.
3. Recently Government has announcedthat the MNP services would start in Haryana Licensed Service Areaon 25th November 2010. This has necessitated amending theregulations.
4. The modification in the timelines(from 24 hrs to 4 working days) for Donor operator in theregulation 10 of the principal regulations has been necessitateddue to the request by DoT citing security reasons. With thisamendment to the principal Regulation, the maximum time period forporting would become seven working days except in Jammu &Kashmir, Assam and North East licenced service areas, wherein itwould be 15 working days.
May 22 2013, 13:11
- in MARKET OUTLOOK
May 22 2013, 10:44
- in Economy