- The Company was incorporated on 25th November, and it obtained the
Certificate of Commencement of Business on 5th January 1983 as Empire
Holdings Ltd. in the state of Maharashtra. It was promoted by the
Essel group of companies, comprising Sanjay Badgamia, Vasant Parekh
and Ashok Kothari. The main object of the company the business of
- It entered into the business of entertainment software and
subsequently the name was changed to ZEE Telefilms Ltd. The Company
co-promoted Essel Packaging Ltd. the partnership company of the Essel
group in 1982.
- The Company produces/develops Hindi films, serials, game shows,
children programmes etc. The Company would also commission serials,
game shows etc., through directors/producers on contract basis,
purchase rights of Hindi films, serials and other programmes from the
producers for a predetermined period.
- 70 No. of Equity shares subscribed for by signatories to the
Memorandum of Association. 2,47,930 No. of equity shares of Rs 10
each were then issued at par of which 97,930 shares reserved for
allotment to directors, their relatives etc. Balance 1,50,000 shares
issued to public on 25th February 1986. 4,96,000 shares offered in
rights basis in proportion 2:1.
- ASSPL became a wholly owned subsidiary of the Company. During the
year, the Company entered into an agreement with the Mauritus
Broadcasting Corporation for supply of programme software to ZEE TV.
- During August, the Company issued 89,28,000 rights equity shares of
Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 20 per share in proportion 12:1.
Another 90,00,000 shares were offered at a premium of Rs 20 per share
through a prospectus as follows: 9,00,000 shares and 27,00,000 shares
reserved for allotment to FIIs and NRIs (repatriation basis)
respectively. Only 21,90,300 shares taken up by NRIs. Of the
balance 10,000 shares reserved for allotment on preferential basis to
employees (only 4,100 shares taken up). Remaining 45,90,000 shares
along with 5,15,600
shares not taken up were issued to the public (of these 4,98,000
shares taken up by FIIs and 17,600 shares by public).
- The Company promoted Siti Cable Venture for provision of integrated
cable network facility to individual cable operators on a city by city
basis and function as a city TV station.
- The Company also proposed to develop Pay TV industry and with this
in view is jointly promoting Zee Cinema, the first Hindi movie Pay TV
Channel along with the News Corp Group.
- The Company alongwith Newscorp promoted another company viz.
Programme Asia Trading Company Private Ltd. (PATCO) for programme
supplies to EL TV and Zee Cinema Channel.
- Asia Today Ltd. and Zee Telefilms Ltd. entered into a sale and
purchase agreement for production, procurement and provision of
Hindustani entertainment software from India and export the same to
Hongkong for transmitting such software on ZEE TV Channel.
- As per the agreement entered into between ASSPL & ATL the former
has been approached as a sole canvassing agent for booking and
selling advertisement slots or time slots throughtout India directly
or through advertising agencies for relaying on the Zee TV.
- 4,00,000 Redeemable Cumulative Non-Convertible Pref. share issued
during the year.
- Pref. shares redeemed during the year.
- 3,00,000 pref. shares issued.
- Walt Disney animation films will be telecast every day for two
hours on Zee TV from February 1 following an agreement reached
between Buena Vista Television India and Zee.
- In order to bring the first of its kind `Zee Cine Awards' to
millions of TV viewers across the globe, the Zee Network has tied up
with the 150-year old world audit major, Price Waterhouse (which
incidentally is the auditing firm for the Oscar awards also) and the
firm Gallup MBA.
- A Letter of intent was signed on 14.04.98 between Zee Network and
EchoStar Communications Corp, to launch Zee's Hindi family
entertainment channel on EchoStar's direct-to-home (DTH) satellite
services for television audiences in the US.
- The Zee Network, which runs the Zee family of channels, is foraying
into the print media with the launch of a film magazine christened
Cine Zee. The magazine will be launched in August.
- Zee has also signed an agreement with Deutsche Telecom for beaming
in Germany. It is also negotiating with leading cable companies in
- Subhash Chandra-promoted Zee Telefilms (ZTL) and the holding
company for the Zee Network, Asia Today Ltd (ATL) may be merged.
- Equity shares and convertible debentures of Zee Telefilms Limited
can now be purchased up to 30 per cent of its total paid-up equity
capital subject to certain conditions.
- Apart from the three Star India channels - Star News, Star Plus and
Star Movies - Asia Today Ltd (ATL), the 50:50 joint venture between
Chandra and Murdoch; Siticable, the 50:50 joint venture between Zee
Telefilms and murdoch; and Chandra's Zee Multimedia, which owns the
UK, US, African and European Zee channels, will be merged with Zee
- Zee TV and Tata Tea Ltd have won the 1997-98 Ficci awards for
creativity in visual media and training and placement disabled
- Siti Cable and Zee Telefilms Ltd (ZTL) have merged their
operations. Siti Cable is a 50:50 joint venture between Subhash `Zee
TV' Chandra's Essel group and Rupert Murdoch who controls Star TV.
- Zee Telefilms will launch its cable Internet services in 4-6 months
through its sister concern SitiCable. The company will provide
unlimited Internet access (24 hours) over cable and will not charge
its customers for Net-surfing.
- As part of its expansion plans, ZTL will increase its authorised
capital from Rs 50 to Rs 75 crore.
- Zee Telefilms Ltd (ZTL) shareholders approved an increase in the
company's authorized share capital from Rs 50 crore to Rs 75 crore to
safeguard itself from any fund shortfall required for the ambitious
projects envisaged in the face of technological convergence.
- Subhash Chandra-promoted Zee Telefilms Ltd (ZTL) has tied up with
French major Canal Plus for its proposed digital TV service, a
precursor to a KU-band direct-to-home (DTH) service.
- ZEE TV will launch three new channels in Europe and start
broadcasts in eight regional languages in India during an
action-packed six months expansion programme.
- Zee Telefilms Limited (ZTL) will soon launch three English language
channels, including a news channel called the Asian News Network, thus
taking head-on its partner-turned-competitor Star TV.
- Zee TV upto 1999 has been operating four channels, three of which
were being played out of STAR TV facility in Hong Kong on lease
basis. With the growth of the network into eleven channels, the
launch of the DTO bouquet and the Alpha channels including the
English channels, a decision was taken to install a fully owned
facility in Singapore which can play-out ten channels. This facility
was set up in a record time of three months and has been fully
operational since middle of March 2000.
- In September 1999, ZTL acquired Zee Multimedia Worldwide Limited
(ZMWL). Following this acquisition, all the international operations
including the broadcasting business of ZMWL came under ZTL's control.
ZTL acquired NewsCorp's 50% stake in Asia Today Limited (ATL),
Siticable, and Programme Asia Trading Company Ltd. and now owns 100%
of these businesses. The consideration paid for the acquisition was
USD 296.51 million
- Zeenext.com, the Internet portal site of the company subsidiary
EConnect India Ltd, and mobile Internet firm Unimobile.com that they
had tied up to offer zeenext portal contents to wireless
- Zee Telefilms has emerged as the new market mover on Dalal Street.
- Zee Telefilms signed an MoU with Asianet Communication Ltd. for
consolidating Zee's entry into the South Indian regional channels.
- Zee Telefilms will set up 500 Internet kiosks, named eZee centres,
across the country as part of its e-commerce initiatives, senior
- Zee Telefilms has been awarded the prestigious Ground Breaker award
as the top national programmer by the US-based trade publication,
Multichannel News International.
- Media and entertainment major Zee Telefilms has acquired 26 per
cent stake in Aplab Ltd, an electronic equipment market.
- Zee Telefilms will launch Basic Education Support Television in
April 2001 - a project aimed at educating the rural India through the
- Zee Telefilms Ltd's American Depository Receipts/American
Depository Shares issue worth .5 billion.
- Zee Telefilms Ltd aims at a 1:1 debt-equity ratio for its Rs.
2,400 crore outlay to set up a fibre-optic and coaxial network across
26 cities in the country.
- The Company and TransWorld International have joined their bids for
the telecast rights for the cricket World Cup tournaments for 2003 and
- Zee Telefilms subsidiary Zee Publishing has been hived off as a
- Zee Telefilms Ltd will be launching its sports channel, tentatively
christened, zee Sports, on 1st October.
- Zee Telefilms Ltd. will float a new joint venture company with the
Hollywood studio, Metro Gold-wyn Mayer Inc (MGM) to operate a
co-branded movie channel exclusively for the South Asian market.
- The promoter of the company Mr. Subhash Chandra will launch Zed TV,
a education channel on October 12.
- Indian media firm Zee Telefilms it has signed a joint venture
agreement with an infotech firm to provide direct-to-home broadcast
- Zee Interactive Learning Systems, a 100 per cent subsidiary of Zee
Telefilms, has tied up with three public sectors undertakings and
four state governments in the country to provide Web-based training
- The Company has apppointed three whole-time directors viz. Mr. R.K.
Singh, Mr. Deepak Shourie and Mr. Dev Naganad.
- The Company has entered into a joint venture tie-up with Sterling
Infotech to establish a direct-to-home television services.
- Zee Telefilms, proposes to set up a niche alternative lifestyle
channel targeted at the non-resident Indian Population, has decided
to brand the channel as Chakra.
- The Indian Music Industry has joined hands with Zee Telefilms to
present year 2000's IMI-Zee Sangeet Awards.
- Zee Interactive Multimedia Ltd., a subsidiary of Zee Telefilms, is
expanding its operations to 26 cities in the next 12 to 18 months.
- Buddha Films, the company that has been working as the Zee group's
platform for acquiring sports properties has been de-merged from Zee
Telefilms (ZTL) and spun off as a separate, stand-along company.
- Former director operations of Videsh Sanchar Nigam Amitabh Kumar
has joined Zee Telefilms as vice-president distribution and access
- Media baron Subhash Chandra has sold 50 lakh shares in Zee
Telefilms (ZTL) to a US-based institutional investor.
- The four regional channels that form the Alpha bouquet were
launched on the following dates :Alpha Marathi : 15th August,
1999Alpha Bangla : 15th September, 1999Alpha Punjabi : 18th October
1999Alpha Gujarati : 21st March, 2000
- In May, 2001, Zee Telefilms has decided to induct a strategic
partner, preferably an international media major to strengthen its
financial and technical strengths to achieve high growth in the field
of convergence. ZTL has converted its flagship Zee TV into a pay
channel with effect from 10 June 2001.
- Zee Telefilms has come out with Open offer to acquire 23,39,900
fully paid-up equity shares of Rs 10/- each of ETC Networks. It
represens 20% of the voting equity share capital at a price of Rs
31.52/- per fully paid up equity share. The issue opens on 3rd Apr.
2002 and closes on
3rd May 2002.
-Zee Telefilms Ltd has informed that Zee TV Partners Cartoon Network,
Snap Ties with Nickelodeon.
-Zee Telefilms took a controlling stake in ETC Networks in June 2002,
following a memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed between the two
companies in February this year. As per the MoU, Zee was to acquire
57 per cent in ETC in two stages for Rs 25 crore.
- Zee News is attempting to give a full perspective of the stories by
following them to the core. In this regard, it has launched a new
programme, known as Zee Follow Up. The new programme will pick up the
loose string of hundreds of stories that once made headlines but
somewhere down the line lost their steam. Zee News is attempting to
retrace history by keeping the viewers abreast of what had occurred
since, the report said.
-Decides to persist with its plan of showing Thursday Bollywood
-Hits upon a new income stream to boost revenues by permitting other
international news channels to beam its exclusive footage and
programmes for a fee
-Delgrada, an overseas corporate body owned by the promoters of ZEE
Telefilm, pledges an additional 3.1 crore shares or 7.6% of the
equity capital of Zee Telefilms held by it in favour of Credit Suisse
First Boston, Singapore
-Mumbai High Court stays Zee TV's daily and Sunday lottery draws
-Share price slumps to four-year low of Rs 60.15 on 01/04/2003
-Zee News starts new programme 'Zee Follow up' through which it is
attempting to retrace history by keeping the viewers abreast of what
had occurred since
-Zee, Turner International expand partnership with 3 new channels
wherein Turner will be the advertising sales agent for Zee's English
entertainment and lifestyle channels, Zee English, Zee MGM and the
recently unveiled Trendz channel
-Announces its la carte price list for bundling channels
-Govt cancels Zee Telefilms plea for bundling its channels
-Promoters' stake in Zee comes down to below 51-pc, stands at 50.5%
-Zee News launches a new logo and a new advertising campaign with the
baseline 'Haqeeqat Jaisi, Khabar Waisi'
-Foreign shareholdings in Zee Telefilms surge to 58%
-Promoters of Zee offload 3% shares to FIIs
-Zee becomes first to get Ietter of intent for DTH operation in
-Delhi High Court permits Zee TV to telecast 'The Inside Story'
-Zee News, Mid Day Multimedia in pact for daily news capsule
-Zee, Star landup in a fray over Siticable's HITS project
-HLL's advertisements reappear on Zee TV after nearly a gap of one
- Board approved the proposal to commence broadcasting of Zee TV and
Zee Cinema channels from India. The company has already obtained
permission of ministry of Information & Broadcasting for the same.
-Out come of AGM: Delisting of equity shares from Ahmedabad & Delhi
Appointment of S P Talwar as an Independent Director
-High Court restrains overseas firms from using Zee in domain names
-Zee Tele forges alliance with Rajashri Pictures
-Board approves Corporate Restructuring of Indian and Foreign
-Zee announces launch of new religious channel 'Jagran'
- Churu Trading Co. Pvt. Ltd, has purchased 3415518 equity shares of
the Company from Livewire Programme Trading Co. Pvt. Ltd.
-Zee Telefilms announced the launch of a separate encrypted beam for
-BT Broadcast, ASCEL join hands to offer teleport services to Zee
-Zee Telefilms Ltd launches separate sports channel
-Zee Tele teams up with IBM Global
-Zee Network in alliance with PanGlobal TV
-Zee join hands with Malaysia's Astro to launch Hindi channel
- Zee TV has announced the launch of an interactive game show Kam Ya
-Zee Telefilms acquires 50% stake in Ten Sports
-Zee Network launches new channel in Indonesia
-Zee to acquire 60 pc stake in Venus Films
-Zee Telefilms Ltd has informed that consequent to all approvals
having been received the name of the Company, effective from January
10, 2007, has changed to Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd.
-Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd has informed that the Board of
Directors, vide a resolution passed by circulation on December 29,
2007, has approved the appointment of Mr. R Vaidyanathan, Professor
of Finance and Control at the Indian Institute of Management,
Bangalore, as an Additional Director in the category of Independent
Director on the Board of the Company with effect from January 01,
- Company name has been changed from Zee Telefilms Ltd to Zee
Entertainment Enterprises Ltd.
- Zee unleashes new channel in South India
-Acquisition of Regional Entertainment Channels from Zee News Ltd
-Merger of ETC Networks Ltd with the Company and subsequent Demerger
of education business into Zee Learn
- Members approves Scheme of Arrangement
- Board declares Special Interim Dividend of 200%
- Approved the Scheme of Arrangement between the Company, 9X Media
Pvt. Ltd. (formerly known as INX Media Pvt. Ltd.) and their
-Zee Entertainment Enterprises has given the Bonus in the Ratio of
- Company introduces new Bangla movie channel
-The board approved a scheme of arrangement between the company and
Diligent Media Corporation (DMCL) for demerger of media business
undertaking from DMCL and vesting into the company
-Zee Entertainment En - RBI approval for FII Investment upto 100% in
-The Company has recommended payment of Dividend of Rs. 2.00/- per
equity share of Re. 1 each
-Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd (ZEEL) has launched its
entertainment channel Zee Hiburan in Indonesia
-Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd - Registered Office of the Company
has been shifted from Worli, Mumbai 400 018 to Lower Parel, Mumbai
-Zee Entertainment Enterprises has entered into food and lifestyle
segment category by introducing its new entertainment channel Living
-ZEE gets board nod for acquisition of Fly By WireInternational Pvt
-ZEEL enters Philippines with Bollywood movie channel
-Zee may buy Reliance Broadcast for Rs 2,000 crores
-Zee acquires 2 TV channels of Reliance Group
-Zee Launches Zee Marathi HD, Zee Bangla HD and Zee Talkies HD
-Zee Launches Zee Cinemalu -its Telugu movie channel
- Zee Entertainment Acquisition of 100% Equity Stake in Fly-By-Wire
International Private Limited
- Zee Entertainment Acquisition of 100% Equity Stake in 9X Media
Private Limited and its subsidiaries and acquisition of balance 26%
Equity stake in Zee Turner Limited
- Zee Entertainment Enterprises (ZEEL) acquire 80 per cent stake in
technology startup Margo Networks for Rs 75 crore.
- Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd (ZEEL) is acquiring the balance
49 per cent equity stake in its subsidiary India Webportal Pvt Ltd
for USD 30.7 million.